1971 170 Aquasport Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 1971 170 Aquasport Rebuild

Post by Rickk »

Thanks MD - seemed that I would never get through with these stringers.

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wildbill »

That's some first class work Rick.

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Thanks Bill :D

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

A little progress. Cut the supports for the tank.

Then I marked the outline of the stringers, we pulled everything out and I ground around the outlines, where the tank supports will be and also where the bulkheads will attach to the stringers. We then put everything back in and remarked everything.

Tomorrow is a big day, the day I tab the stringers in and hopefully I can get the tank supports glassed in too. Then it's on to the internal bulkheads (fore and aft of the tank), which will straddle the long pipe in the pics.
A day at a time...
----------------------------------
A little more progress.
Spent about 10 minutes spot grinding Saturday where I had tacked the stringers in. Then spent a couple hours cutting another layer of 1708 w/mat for the 3rd layer of glass and dry cutting it in. Prep certainly takes more time than actually laying the glass. Then I started working out the bulkheads, marking them, grinding and adding another couple layers of 1708 to beef them up.
Today I mixed up some thickened epoxy with cabosil and chopped fibers this time and then spread fillets along the starboard stinger. Then Ed arrived and we started to mix resin for the layup. 4" and 8" of 1708 w/o mat and then 12" 1708 with mat. This thing is going to be a tank, that's like 8 layers of 1708 :shock:

We only did one stringer so I wasn't stepping into the stuff (which I did anyway), sliding and busting my butt again (which I didn't do :cheers: ). Next weekend I'll glass the other stringer in and also the tank supports.
----------------------------------
Got the other stringer in yesterday

Made another form for the bulkheads, a flat side for the tank side and angled away - seems the bulkheads I made earlier deformed themselves somehow. Maybe sitting outside for a few months :scratch: Very weird. Anyway, this will be installed next weekend so there hopefully won't be another chance of deformation. 3 layers of 1808, 4 in the bottom.

Ground the inside out today. Boy the grinding is getting tough in this heat - sweat out a Tyvek suit, had to trash it.

The tank still fits, just barely though :cheers:

Ran out of resin again so couldn't make anymore progress. Wanted to stick at least the center tube support in....

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Beautiful work, Rick 8) What is the plan for the fill hose routing? That stuff doesn't bend easy, or tight. I fought a piece of it this morning for a couple of hours, busted every knuckle, and finally had to get Mrs. Cracker to come and help push.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

Cracker Larry wrote:Beautiful work, Rick 8) What is the plan for the fill hose routing? That stuff doesn't bend easy, or tight. I fought a piece of it this morning for a couple of hours, busted every knuckle, and finally had to get Mrs. Cracker to come and help push.
I'm fighting a fill hose myself....very frustrating!!!! :x
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Cracker Larry wrote:Beautiful work, Rick 8) What is the plan for the fill hose routing? That stuff doesn't bend easy, or tight. I fought a piece of it this morning for a couple of hours, busted every knuckle, and finally had to get Mrs. Cracker to come and help push.
Thanks Larry.
I'm not sure at this point about the fill and vent. It'll either go through the bulkhead in front of the tank or through the port stringer and then somehow get to the gunnel, port side. I'm hoping it'll go under the casting deck, just haven't got that far yet. I'll work through that after I get the tank bulkheads in.
The original setup had the tank inside the console and the fill stayed in the console, so this is all new for this boat.

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog »

Rickk wrote:I'm hoping it'll go under the casting deck, just haven't got that far yet. The original setup had the tank inside the console and the fill stayed in the console, so this is all new for this boat.
Rick, I'm sure you have seen the 22-2's from mid 70's. The factory had slots mould into the top of the starboard stringer for the fill and vent hoses to pass through the stringers under the sole then up under the casting deck and up through a chase moulded into the liner. When I rebuilt mine I decided to put the fill on the port side to match up with the tow vehicle. There was no slot in the left stringer but the chace in the liner was forward of the stringers so it was pretty easy to run throught the frame in front of the tank, under the casting deck and then up the port side chase in the liner. Might be hard to visualize. If I can find good pics I'll post them later. I am guessing the chases built into the 22-2 casting deck insert may not be in the 170. But given the great work you have done one the new stringers one of those would be no problem for you to fabricate.

MD :wink:
Ergo piscor, ergo sum

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

I have a liner that has to go back in and I'm hoping that I can slide the hoses up under it just in front of where the casting deck starts. we'll see. I think I read where you had changed it to the drivers side, good idea.

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

I bedded the middle support in putty

And then glassed it in

Then started the painstaking task of measuring and marking and re-measuring and re-marking and finally cutting the bulkheads and dry fitting them - I designed them to be about 1 1/2" fore and aft of the notch out so I have some place to glass to on the inside.

Then I got them about where they'll end up and then dropped the tank in

I'll glass in 2 strips of jasper board built up to fill the gap between the tank and the bulkheads. The other 2 supports will be glassed in on each side of the main support once I get the bulkheads glassed in.

From a distance they already look part of the stringer system - fit pretty good.