1971 170 Aquasport Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1971 170 Aquasport Rebuild

Post by topwater »

Nice glass work :!:
Novi 23 finally launched !

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

My how time flies...
As stated earlier I bought a surplus tank and I emailed the mfr to get installation instructions but got no reply (seems they'll only reply to builders). I allowed a bit for expansion but found out later that I didn't allow enough :x
I had to either cut the tank shorter or make the coffin larger. Harbor freight didn't have a plastic welder of that magnitude so the coffin lost out.
I cut, moved, added on and then scarf jointed the connections and laid in about 6 layers of glass. It's solid and I gained 1-1/2" more clearance.

Then I glassed in the bulkheads, adding more layers to the modification to tie it in.

Next I glassed in the outer tank supports

This morning I drilled some drain holes for the coffin into the main pipe going through.

Then I cut high density foam and contact cemented it in place anywhere the tank would touch the coffin or could touch it.

I then set the tank in. It's hard to see the foam but I now have about an inch on each end of the tank - 1/2" from the foam on each end the foam is 1/2". Let the swelling begin. I'll also leave room for that swell in the strapping across the top of the tank.

Plenty of room still.

Next is laying out the fill/vent and starting to think about routing power forward and everything else aft.

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wildbill »

Rick, sorry for the late reply, I just looked at your post and had not been on as frequently lately, but do you have enough room for expansion on the sides of your poly tank? the work look's great but are you too tight on the sides?

bill

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Hi Bill, thanks.
I hope I do - I have about 3/4" room total in width and the expansion @ 2% would be about 1/2" so I think I'm good. I was more concerned with the length expansion so I gave it a little more room.

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wildbill »

Yeah, I'd go with it. I just hated posting that. That's the first formula I've heard and it's a good one to remember.

thanks' bill

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Cut some holes this weekend to route everything. Only way out of the console is down into the fuel tank coffin because the console will sit on the stringers edge to edge.
So I cut a couple holes in the front of the coffin - left holes are for the fuel fill and vent hoses, the one on the right is to route battery cables, nav lights, etc forward. All will be foamed in.

The holes in the back are 2" pipe because of the limited room above the tank. I then will install a 2" to 3" converter and a 45 degree coupler and connect to the 3" pipe going through the stringers. I need room to pull through the engine controls and the 3" 45 does the trick.

The 3" on each side will end at the corners on each side where I'll build a little box to route the stuff through.
Almost foam time.

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

I retested pulling (actually pushing) the cables through the pipe from the tank area towards the back and they went through no problem, however they didn't want to come back out probably because the adjustment wheels are catching on something. I bet if I broke the edge with some tape they'd come right out.
I glued the 2-3" converter only and dry fit the rest in. In the front I will heat the pipe going forward and bow it toward the prow a little so I will have the wires (battery and nav) right where I need them.
Also notice I ran the fuel fill and vent through their holes - I have enough length to get anywhere I need to in the front. I haven't connected them to the tank yet. The front bulkhead will be foamed, so it will hold the hoses tight. I also need to strap the tank down with room to grow in all directions.

I will lam some small strips of glass to tie the pipe into the stringers and fill the voids around the pipes to keep the foam in.

Last edited by Rickk on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Man is it hot out there :shock:
Saturday morning I made some cardboard templates and lam'd the last layer of cloth on the Plascore board. Stuff is pretty nice and easy to work with and pretty cheap - less than 3/4 marine plywood. After you add in the cost of the cloth and the resin it's still not too bad.
Cardboard templates cut.

Tracing and cutting out of the Plascore

Dry fit, traced the sides onto the hull and then got in and ground where I would be lamming them in and while I was at it I ground the hull sides where the floor will butt up so I don't have to do it later. Grinding sucks but a flap sanding wheel makes quick work of it.

Then I mixed some thick putty, coated the 3 edges of each bulkhead with enough to ooze out so I could fillet them, stuck them in, ran the fillets and then tabbed them in. Got done about 130p and almost passed out from the heat - had to come into the house and lay down in front of a fan. Definitely an early morning job. Started early but it took 4 hours to cut the bulkheads, cut all the cloth, grind the areas and then vacuum the hull. By then it was noon. :roll: Too hot but had to get done.

Getting there. Still haven't glued the pvc together but it will be soon. I have one more weekend before I leave for the UK - this trip is 6 weeks long so no progress for a while.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

this boat is going to feel rock solid :!:

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk »

Back at it.
Before I left for England I put the liner back in the boat and piled everything around the boat in the boat and covered it up for the 5+ week trip in case the weather got rough while I was gone.
I cleaned up my AS Explorer 230 and covered it and uncovered/unpacked the 170. I also went down and bought a new tarp - this time green is the only one they had in the size I needed so my "hue" will be a little different in the pics.

The liner, as you can see is now laying on the outside bulkheads due to the height I raised the stringers and I figured if I cut it right above the built up area (ground area on the bottom) I would start getting close, which happens to be almost 3". I want to make sure I keep the gunnel tops level and also put in the rod inserts to make sure the liner is off the hull enough. I will have a 1" sole going in so I may have to trim some more off, we'll see.
Before

You can see how the rigging tube will fit up under the liner. I think I will have to heat up the pipe and bend it just a little more so it lays up there real nice with a piece of neoprene behind it. I also, after looking at the access I'll have under the liner to the port side, will have to run the fuel fill and vent up front also. I ordered a combo fill/vent 45 degree perko fill so I can loop the hose back toward the stern after I get under the liner up there. I want to install a trolling motor up on the front of the cap with a Dog-bone mount so I hope I have the room for all this stuff. I also ordered a flip up LED nav light (livorsi) so it'll be hidden 95% of it's life on this boat. Soooo many things to think about on these old rebuilds.

In this pic you can see the thickness of what I'm calling the "built up area" to the left. Also you can see I put my bilge pump in the back about where the deepest part of the back area is (I built it up at least a 1/2" lamming in the transom). 1st bilge pump this boat has ever had below deck.

After the trim - still need to level the gunnels/put in the rod inserts and see how much I need to adjust.

Before I go much father on the sole I need to figure out the actual size of the console. I want to add a seat in the front of the console so I started the demo and rebuild on that today.
Cut the front off and gutted all the old wood out.

I added some new mat

I added cloth to the sides and a stuck a block of Plascore for windshield reinforcement.

I cut and glued some wood back into the console.