Another 18 Privateer rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Another 18 Privateer rebuild

Post by greymare89 »

In a recent post on this forum I saw a gentleman who rebuilt an 18 Privateer Retriever which included the stringers, transom, deck and misc. holes. I'm looking to do the same thing on the exact same boat with the exception to the complicated stinger layout, anchor locker and chase piping. Currently I'm about 75% done with taking apart the existing rotten wood and fiberglass and I will be looking to set the boat up with a tiller motor with an open hull (basically as simple as I can make it). Is there by any chance an old supply write up, invoice or something along those lines containing the amount of material the guy used to rebuild his Privateer? I'm taking the advice of members of this forum who posted on his thread and am looking to use the 12 oz tape for tabbing, 1708 to cover the transom/deck, wood flour and silica for the fillets and the marine epoxy resin the only question is how much of each to order. I can posts some pics for anyone who is interested although I'm not gonna lie, THE BOAT IS ROUGH!!!! This is my first rebuild so any help I can get with he much appreciated. Thanks

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Another 18 Privateer rebuild

Post by FitzFisher »

POST SOME PIX! wE LOVE PICTURES~!
You are what you is! And I is Done!

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

Post some pictures and welcome aboard.
6 gallon kit epoxy, 2-50 yard rolls of 12 oz tape, 10 yards of 1708, 2-bags of wood flour, 3 bags of silica and some tools of course.
Where in the Island?

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Trying to post pics but can't seem to figure out how to do it. Is there a tutorial page for it or can someone give me direction? I know in the past on other sites I've had the option of entering an image into the post or copy and pasting it from my desk top but here I'm not able to. As soon as I can figure it out I'll post the pics up

**** BTW after looking at the pics I have I realized I have more work ahead of me then I originally thought... In my first post I said I was about 75% done with tearing the boat down but I think I was just being overly optimistic lol.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Post some pictures and welcome aboard.
6 gallon kit epoxy, 2-50 yard rolls of 12 oz tape, 10 yards of 1708, 2-bags of wood flour, 3 bags of silica and some tools of course.
Where in the Island?

Thanks for the reply. I'm out in East Hampton. It's taken me a while to find the boat for a good price, out here Privateers are hard to come by since they are all pretty much owned by the comm. fisherman who don't want to part with them. I actually bought an '88 Retriever hull from a friend of my then located the boat I'm tearing apart about 2 weeks later for $250 which I though was a steal. Eventually I'm going to put the '88 hull up for sale since I don't need two if anyone is interested.....

Anyway back to the list of materials... Do you think 6 gal of epoxy is enough? I planned on ordering 12 gallons and about 15-20 yards of the 1708 (enough to do 2 layers on the transom and deck) Just don't want to run out and have to order more and waste money on shipping

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

greymare89 wrote:
Anyway back to the list of materials... Do you think 6 gal of epoxy is enough? I planned on ordering 12 gallons and about 15-20 yards of the 1708 (enough to do 2 layers on the transom and deck) Just don't want to run out and have to order more and waste money on shipping
6 gallons might be enough if there is very little waste and you don't have a lot of putty/gap filling to do. I would say start with the 6 and see what you need if/when you run out of it. The 1708 you should get all at once, or it will increase shipping cost (cost about the same to send a 10 yard roll as a 15 yard roll). You will need at least on roll of the 12 oz,. biax tape. For fillers, 5 lbs of wood flour and a bag or two of silica.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Not very attentive I guess, just found the directions to uploading pics under the thread READ FIRST!!!!! Woops, anyway pics to follow

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

How big is the one you want to sell? Can you post some pictures?

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Code: Select all

How big is the one you want to sell? Can you post some pictures?
The boat I will have for sale is the same exact boat as the one I am rebuilding, '18 Privateer Retriever. Its a 1988 hull and in better shape the my project boat, if you click on the link about it will bring you to the site with my pictures. The first 5 pics are of the boat for sale (it has no reg #'s and it is still fully intact)