Another 18 Privateer rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another 18 Privateer rebuild

Post by greymare89 »

Stringers have been tacked in and allowed to cure for about 4 days now. Tomorrow I plan on filleting and taping them in (pics to follow). Before I begin taping in with the 12oz tape, should I dry fit the 1708 and set that in at the same time or apply it in a different session?

When applying the 1708 is it correct to apply it to each side of the stringer separately then tab onto the floor leaving the top exposed? I can just foresee issues with trying to go up and over the top and down the other side so I was planning on capping the top of the stringer with 12 oz and plastic wrap to force the air out once the 1708 was set up and dry....

Also do the areas of thickened epoxy that are currently "tacking" the stringers in place have to be sanded or can the fillet and 12oz be applied right over it as is?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I can just foresee issues with trying to go up and over the top and down the other side so I was planning on capping the top of the stringer with 12 oz and plastic wrap to force the air out once the 1708 was set up and dry....
If the stringers are wide enough, you can wrap the 1708, but judging by the pictures earlier int he post that does not seem to be the case. So you will probably need to apply 1708 to each side then cap it later
Also do the areas of thickened epoxy that are currently "tacking" the stringers in place have to be sanded or can the fillet and 12oz be applied right over it as is?
I like to make the "tacks" or "spot welds" a slightly smaller radius than what my fillet will be, then you can just run your fillet tool and putty right over top - no sanding :)

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Shine, thank you for your response. Never got around to the stringers since something came up so tomorrow looks like the day . One question before I go for it. *****hopefully you see question/post before I start in the morning and potentially screw something up lol****

Can I fillet/tape the stringers in place without the butt blocks in place then epoxy glue the butt blocks over top or should the butt blocks be set first before and tabbing with the 12 oz tape? The reason I ask is because I have the whole day tomorrow and would like to get as much done as possible. If I have to set the butt blocks in first then wait for them to set up before laying in the tape I will most likely waste half the day. If the butt blocks can be set after the fact then tabbed in separately with the 12 oz it would be a home run for me !!! As always I appreciate any input and am sorry if I'm a nuisance, just want to make sure it's done correctly and I'm not wasting my time.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

no, you need butt blocks before glass. Glue them up with beveled edges, if you use medium or fast hardener you can get the butt blocks tacked up before tabbing

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Thank you! I would have taped first then done the butt blocks....

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Ok guys I got the two outermost stringers taped and glassed in yesterday but I may have royally screwed up!!! I didn't have any help so I tried to do the work all by myself and bit off more than I could chew..... When I first started making the fillets for the first stringer I had left over material and instead of wasting it I decided to use it on the port side stringer, well that's when it all went downhill. Long story short by the time I was ready to lay up the 1708 I think the epoxy and tape started to kick off and left the it either resin starved or with air bubbles. If you look at the pictures there is a lot of white showing. I stepped on them and shook them back and forth and them seem solid as a rock. Back by the transom the 1708 didn't bond well at all and lifted, this area I know I'm going to grind away and lay new stuff down because its a high stress point. The port side stringer seems to be a little worse off since I left the fillet and epoxy sitting for a while before applying the 1708. I started with the starboard taping and glassing which appeared to have bonded better. Is this a fatal mistake from what you see in the pictures? Do I need to remove and start over or can I learn from my mistake and work one stringer at a time from here on out taking it nice and slow?
I know best case scenario the glass is suppose to be transparent. This is a work boat I'm going to be using for duck hunting, clamming, etc in the bay so its not going to be dodging six footers in the ocean.

Under the leaf is the area I was talking about that bubbled and lifted. You can see clearly the solid white area showing it. I plan on grinding this portion out and re-doing.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher »

Those stringers are going to be tough to cover with the different thicknesses (3 wide and 1 wide). YOu could have done a double thickness all the way down with staggered joints and had a uniform piece to work with. I know you are fired up about your project, but it might pay off to take a little more time to plan it out and get some input. I'm not saying this won't work, but you created a lot of work for yourself. Can you take some more close up photos of the problem areas and let us see what you have done a little better. It's tough to tell from that distance, but a lot of white is not good.
hang in there, you'll get it figured out.
You are what you is! And I is Done!

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Fitz
I thought about making the staggered joints and double the thickness but I'm trying to cut as much weight out of the boat as I can. Its only going to be powered by a 50hp. I went with the 4 foot butt blocks to cover my joints after it was mentioned by members of this site. Also as far as thinking ahead and planning, I'm trying to think out the build as best as I can but this is the first time I have ever done anything like this and rely solely on advice given by members of this forum. I really appreciate the input you all give and I'm very grateful for the guidance given. I tried to crop the pictures to give more of a close up but I can't get it to work. Like I said before this boat is going to be a beat around bay boat not my primary ride, so having said that I'm definitely not going to grind out what I've done and start over, haha. I'm just going to take it ALOT slower for the next stringers and make sure all the glass is worked in well. I should also mention the white areas are a lot more noticeable where the 1708 is over top of the 12 oz tape and both are very solid when I push and pry on them if that makes any difference.

Also I wanted to ask for advice on the center stringer in the keel. There is quite a large void between where the keel tapers out and the face of the stringer which would lead to a lot of thickened epoxy to fill in. Is there another way to fill the void and glass over top? I thought about ripping down a piece of PVC, filleting it in then covering with the 12oz and 1708. Thoughts?

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Went ahead and filled the void in the keel with a fillet instead of using PVC like I had considered, it came out a lot nicer since I took my time only working one side of the stringer at a time....

I've run out of materials though, the fillets have taken a lot of it. I have two and a half stringers left, (half of the center that I did today and the two others) they are about 12 feet long by 8 inches high. I was going to order 5 lbs of wood flour, 1 oz bag of silica and another 3 gallon kit of epoxy.I have to also keep in mind that I have to glass the deck..... My original purchase was 9 gallons of epoxy ( a six and a three gallon kit) 5 lbs of wood flour and 8 oz of silica and I've done the transom so far and a good portion of the stringers

The wood flour and silica is cheap enough so I'm not worried about waste if I buy too much.. Will 3 more gallons be enough to do the rest of the project? I have two gallons of epoxy and 1 gallon of hardener left over from my original purchase as I sits right now.

I've read on several posts that people have used 10 oz / 50" fabric to glass the deck, is this correct? My original plan was to use 1708 but I've found it eats the epoxy up like crazy and will probably be over kill for a deck... How many layers of glass will suffice for the deck, 1 or 2?

The shipping isn't cheap to get everything here to the northeast so I want to try and place one more order and be done. Any suggestions? If I haven't provided enough info please let me know and I'll try to be a little more detailed, Just want to make the most educated guess that I possibly can for this next order.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

For the deck, when i was doing mine, every one recommended one layer of 10oz cloth, i doubled it and i am happier now.