Another 18 Privateer rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another 18 Privateer rebuild

Post by greymare89 »

Nothing Else Matters
Thanks, I think I'm going to do the same. How many gallons of epoxy did you use to do the deck? Also if I recall correct you used 1708 for your transom, how many layers did you use for that? I have two on there now and it seems a but thin to me. I was trying to figure out if I should add a layer or two just to be safe.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

Hoe many gallons? I really don't remember, but it was more than 15 for the whole boat.
For the transom i installed i think 3 or 4 layers, it is almost 1/4" thick.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Here is the center stringer bedded in A LOT of epoxy with 2 layers of 12 oz and one layer of 1708 on each side. Once my shipment of supplies comes on Tuesday I'll move onto the last two stringers. I tried to take my time on this stringer only doing one side at a time and I think it came out good, any thoughts or concerns from anyone?

Also I'm a little concerned the 2 layers of 1708 on the transom will not be enough. I didn't have an original thickness of glass to compare to since the previous owner did a little modification of his own on top of the original rotting transom. I've tabbed the two outside stingers into the transom already, is it possible to complete my stringer work as planned then cover the transom with two additional layers of 1708? If so I would have to tab the additional transom layers over top of my stringer layers. Am I thinking into this too much or will the two layers I have already be sufficient enough for the 215 lb outboard I'm putting on the back?

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Little more of a close up. Also should mention the stringer is bedded in thickened epoxy not just epoxy like I mentioned in the original pic above.

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

stringers are all glassed in finally!!! Took a little more epoxy than I expected because I had to make some extra large fillets in certain places to compensate for extra large gaps. Anyway I have a few questions for Shine or anyone one else interested in helping before I move on

- I tied into my pre-existing stringers near the bow with 4' long 1/2" plywood butt blocks on either side. The majority of the 4' butt block is adhered to the new stringer with only about 6" epoxy glued to the old stringer. This is def. a weak point I'm sure since all the joints are in a straight line..... I cut back to solid stringer, hence the reason for the joints all in a line. Is there any way to make this joint stronger with something like a bulkhead or cat joint?

- I know I have to buy more epoxy, I have about a gallon and a half left. Any guess on how much I would need to cover the deck with 2 layers of the 10 oz mat? The area is approx 14 ft long by 6 ft wide roughly

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Some updates since I haven't posted in a while. Its getting cold here in the northeast so my days of glassing are really limited. The deck is finally in and now I'm just playing the waiting game for it to set up. I ordered two quarts of Kiwigrip Gray to cover the floor. Does anyone know if this will be enough? Also should I put primer down first before painting the floor and gunwales?

My plan is to finish the interior of the boat so I can duck hunt out of it for the remainder of the season then sand and finish the outside in the spring. I plan on painting the boat gray and have to paint the inside gunwales first before I tape off and apply the non skid. Does anyone know which Interlux Brightside gray matches closest to the Kiwigrip gray? When looking at Interlux's color chart there looks to be about 5 different choices and was hoping someone had first hand experience before I play the guessing game. Thanks

Two Kits of foam totaling 4 gallons under the floor. The two outer most stringers were left without it as I ran out. Hopefully this isn't a big deal.

Painted the bilge with two coats of Interlux bilgekote.I might try to put one more coat down by reaching through the inspection hatch I put in once the floor sets up.

The sole (1/2"marine ply) was coated with two heavy coats of epoxy then glued down with thickened epoxy.

Finally the floor was tabbed in with two layers of 12oz tape then covered with two layers of 10oz woven. Pretty happy with the way it turned out seeing how this is my first ever fiberglass project.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason »

I asked the same question about priming under KIWI Grip and was advised on this Forum to prime under it to avoid "bleed through".

I proceeded with this advice (to prime floor under KIWI) and would advise you to do the same.

Looks great what you have done!
Last edited by tcason on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

That does look great for first time work 8)

Yes, I would prime under the Kiwi Grip for a more uniform color. 2 quarts will be plenty for that deck. Don't know about which Interlux paint to get, but the gray KG is a very light gray color.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

greymare89
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greymare89 »

Thanks for the positive comments, I know it doesn't look like much compared to most of the projects on this forum but I have to say I have a new found respect for those who work with fiberglass. I will most likely try again on another project but for now this one has been enough (both on my wallet and patience)!!!

This might be a stupid question but here it goes....
The project has taken a lot longer than anticipated as a result of lack of spare time and weather conditions. Duck season is currently underway here in NY and I would really like to get out there and utilize the boat. Is it a bad idea to hunt the boat over bare fiberglass (including the exterior of the transom where I did a few repairs) or should I apply paint on all the exposed surfaces? I know it will look ridiculous using a boat half finished but the reality is by the time I find a free minute where the weather is cooperating to prep and apply the paint, duck season will be over! What do u think?

gk108

Post by gk108 »

Do duck hunters get points for style? :D
You're just as likely to hear someone say they need to do that to their boat. :wink:
CC, D15, V10