1981 FORMULA F233 RESTORATION

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

1981 FORMULA F233 RESTORATION - COPY

Post by NOTHING ELSE MATTERS »

Hi everyone, finally i'm almost done ripping the Formula apart getting it ready for new stringers, transom and floor. Here are some pictures.

Boat was built with only two stringers 3/4 thick 27" apart made out lumber from the front of the boat to the bulkhead in front of the motor(is an I/O set up). No other bulkheads in the boat but all the empty areas were filled with soaked closed cell foam.

A few questions for the pros now.
1) I would like to install two additional stringers, one on each side.I was thinking of making the two main stringers out of double 3/4 plywood(BS1088) and the second ones just 3/4 plywood with some bulkheads in between. Is this O.K to do?
2) When i removed the "floating" stringers i end up with a lip of fiberglass as you see below. My question is when i grind that down flat should i remove also the flat piece of fiberglass holding the old stringer?
3) I also would like to thicken the bottom of the boat. How do i do that and what kind of glass do i use there?
Also, i wanted at the same time to fill the inside of the strakes to be even with the boats interior.
4) I also noticed that the interior floor is two different colors(was not painted or primed) some places is red and some places is
white.
Sorry for the long post and questions.

Shine, i'm also ready to place the order for everything but the plywood, including the glass to thicken the bottom of the boat(if i have to do that). The glass on the outside of the transom is 1/4" thick and i'm suppose to have no more than 2 1/4" total thickness according to Mercruiser. I would like to go with the Marine Epoxy brand, but i don't know if i should get medium or slow hardener, you tell me.
Thank you.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 1981 FORMULA F233 RESTORATION

The pictures i posted suppose to show more area but for some reason they don't. Do i have to resize them?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

1) I would like to install two additional stringers, one on each side.I was thinking of making the two main stringers out of double 3/4 plywood(BS1088) and the second ones just 3/4 plywood with some bulkheads in between. Is this O.K to do?
Sure, thats fine. More structure than original.

2) When i removed the "floating" stringers i end up with a lip of fiberglass as you see below. My question is when i grind that down flat should i remove also the flat piece of fiberglass holding the old stringer?
Yes, you should remove as much as possible.
3) I also would like to thicken the bottom of the boat. How do i do that and what kind of glass do i use there?
Also, i wanted at the same time to fill the inside of the strakes to be even with the boats interior.
no need to, especially considering the additional stiffeners you will be adding
4) I also noticed that the interior floor is two different colors(was not painted or primed) some places is red and some places is
white.
red is the color of the glass, the white is some overspray of gelcoat

Shine, i'm also ready to place the order for everything but the plywood, including the glass to thicken the bottom of the boat(if i have to do that). The glass on the outside of the transom is 1/4" thick and i'm suppose to have no more than 2 1/4" total thickness according to Mercruiser. I would like to go with the Marine Epoxy brand, but i don't know if i should get medium or slow hardener, you tell me.
Thank you.
Marinepoxy is good, I would get all slow hardener

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Shine, thank you for the super quick reply. Do you need any more specifics as to how much material do i need?
I will also need some closed cell foam. Does that have any shelf time? Also, how do i figure how many gallons do i need?
Thank you.

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish »

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS wrote:The pictures i posted suppose to show more area but for some reason they don't. Do i have to resize them?
I think most people know that they can open your pictures in a new window if they want to see more of the areas. Your pictures are fine.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Another question for the pros.
By the gas tank area i wanted to install either stiffeners lay down flat if i go with a "v" bottom tank, or make a sub floor and install 3-4" high stringers to install a flat bottom tank.
My question is:
1) What kind of material do i use(i.e flat 2X6 lumber or flat doubled 3/4 ply 6" wide) for the flat stiffeners ?
2) What kind of material do i use to make 3-4" high stringers ? (I think this is no brainer, plywood, right?

JGB
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JGB »

shine wrote:
Sure, thats fine. More structure than original.
Joel,
Are 1.5" stringers (double 3/4 plywood) required here or would 3/4" stringers (double 3/8 plywood) be OK? Seems like he said original stringers were 3/4" and many other boats here have used 3/4" stringers.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

By the gas tank area i wanted to install either stiffeners lay down flat if i go with a "v" bottom tank, or make a sub floor and install 3-4" high stringers to install a flat bottom tank.
My question is:
1) What kind of material do i use(i.e flat 2X6 lumber or flat doubled 3/4 ply 6" wide) for the flat stiffeners ?
2) What kind of material do i use to make 3-4" high stringers ? (I think this is no brainer, plywood, right?
Plywood for both, I would standardize and use 3/4" for those parts. This is a big and heavy boat, no need to skimp.

for the long stringers, you should use two layers of wood to make the stringer one pieces (2 x 3/8" to make 3/4" stingers, or 2 x 3/4" to make 1.5" stringers)

Since you are doubling the amount of stringers, there is no need to make them any thicker that the original 3/4". You will need to tab them in with 3 layers of 12 oz biax tape, then cover them completely over with two layers of heavy biax (1708), this is probably more glass than what was covering them previously. This assumption is based on the picture where it looks like the old stringers had only one layer of heavy roving. Do you have an actual measuemtn of the thickness of the glass on the side of the stringer?

What about the transom?

I can give an estimate on the amounts because we do not have measurements of the pieces (length/height).

You will need epoxy, wood flour, silica, 12 oz biax tape, and a heavy biax (1708 is a good choice). I can tell you that you will need the following to get started: 6 gallons epoxy, 5 lb. wood flour, 1 lb silica, 2 rolls biax tape, 10+ yards of 1708. That may be enough o get the new stringers in

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS
Active Poster
Active Poster

Joel, can i fax you a sketch with the measurements ? My scanner gave up. (give me your fax #).Thanks.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

sure, 772-770-3249