1991 stratos bass boat restoration.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 1991 stratos bass boat restoration.

Post by tech_support »

The "hull stiffeners" need to be replaced with the same thickness core. It might be difficult to remove one without removing other, especially if they are covered with the same piece of fiberglass.
The two inner most stringers are removed (one piece) and now the questions. The stringers are made from 3/4 pine board, or at least its not plywood and are 10" at its tallest. I don't think I will be able to find a pine 1x12 18 foot long, so I am planning on using 3/8 douglas fir.
I assume you mean laminating 2 layer of plywood? that is what I would do.
I will be using epoxy, but am not sure which weight of biaxial to use on stringers. Also not sure how many layers to use.
12 oz tape for the tabbing, and 17 or 1708 to cover them. You need to replace at least the old thickness
I am confused about using mat and epoxy, seems some say it isnt necessary.
matt is not necessary for strength (with epoxy) , but it does add thickness more quickly than only biax.

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

The current hull stiffeners are 1/2" thick plywood that is 1.5" wide at bottom and 3/4" wide at top. Sides are cut at a 45 degree angle. Do you think I will have a problem using 1708 over this? There were bubbles on top of them in spots when I tore it apart.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

no, if you bevel it back at an angle, and use some putty (thickened epoxy) as a tiny fillet, there should be zero air bubbles

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

This is the starboard side after sanding and removing the hull stiffner

This location is where the bilge pumps are mounted, I removed plywood to check for water, everything looks ok.

This is towards bow and shows how the hull stiffeners all come together

Hopefully this weekend I can get everything cleaned and start glueing stiffeners back in place.

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

I have my hull stiffeners glued in the hull and I assume that I need to glass all of them in before I add stringers. I'm thinking that my next step is to sand glue and wipe with acetone. Coat stiffeners with epoxy, add fillets, then tab with 1 layer of 12 oz cloth then 1 or 2 layers of 1708. Is this the correct procedure?

sds
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sds »

I think the strength of those stiffeners probably comes more from the glass than the wood core -- I'd get a layup schedule from Joel. If you already got one, by all means proceed.

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

The old stiffeners had a layer of mat and 2 layers of roven cloth. I assume that 2 or 3 layers of biaxial will be as strong or stronger. Correct me if I'm wrong

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

backwoods1975 wrote:The old stiffeners had a layer of mat and 2 layers of roven cloth. I assume that 2 or 3 layers of biaxial will be as strong or stronger. Correct me if I'm wrong
All things being equal, same weight of biaxial glass with fibers in same direction is stronger than woven roving.

The variables in strength introduced by how well the man in the factory did his lamination vs. how you will do yours is more than the difference in strength between the two materials ...... that is why we play it safe and recommend building back the same thickness that was there before.

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 »

How many layers to build up to 1/8 inch?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

about 2 layers of 1708