UglyBetty

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Madfly
New Poster
New Poster

UglyBetty

Post by Madfly »

Hello All!
I've just acquired a 1976 Mitchell hull, and plan to replace the transom and possibly the floor. Although the transom appears solid, there have been some attempts in the past to fill the delaminated sections with resin, so I expect there has been water intrusion. Can anyone offer an idea of what the stringer set up is in this hull? The previous owner had said he had replaced the stringers, but the entire floor was not removed, only the areas not under the seating. The floor gives ever so slightly when walking in it, but I am not familiar with a boat this size, or how it was made, to know if this is acceptable. My goal for this boat is to be a simple skiff that can be poled when needed, to fly fish Mosquito Lagoon and fish the flood tides in North Florida. It came with a 15hp Johnson long shaft, which may create problems of its own depending on the transom height, etc.
You can see the darker "repaired area" behind the center seat. It is simply resin and glass over a section of floor that was removed and replaced. Again, not certain of the quality of repair.
I would like to add a deck in the front, but pretty much leave the structure of the boat as is. I look forward to pulling this off by the end of August!

cankicker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: UglyBetty

Post by cankicker »

If no one here can help,Perhaps these folks can.... http://www.microskiff.com/

wildbill
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wildbill »

I'm not sure but it seems what I am seeing with your photo's it does not appear to have stringers running front to back under the sole. What hull support there is; is supported through the 3 bench's from side to side. If the drain plug is flush with what I can see is the bottom of the boat, that's what you have. Nice boat to learn from and start a new project.
Check out the How to Section on the tool bar on top of this page.

Good Luck

Madfly
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Madfly »

Cankicker, Thanks for the info. I will check them out.
WildBill, Thank you also. I will look more closely at what you have suggested to confirm about the stringers.

Bluefish2
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Bluefish2 »

Hi Madfly,
It does not look like there are stringers. you frames formed by the seats. Nice size boat for flyfishing.
If you are thinking of the transom needing to be replaced drill a couple of holes, maybe a half inch in the lower section of the transom, only through one side. if it is wet you should be able to tell fairly quickly.
BF2

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

I concur. I seriously doubt that boat has stringers.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Madfly
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Madfly »

Thank you all for the responses. This will move the project along fairly quickly. If needed, replace the transom, add the deck, repaint and fish!

Madfly
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Madfly »

What is the preferred wood for the transom? I intend to drive to Vero to pick up the wood, fiberglass, etc.
Thanks!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I would use 6566 meranti, very good material for the money.

Madfly
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Madfly »

Thanks Shine. Can I pick this up in Vero? I could use a road trip... :D