deck repair and non-skid

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
montgwh2

deck repair and non-skid

Post by montgwh2 »

I'm about to start a deck/nonskid project on a Freedom 40 for the owner. The side decks used to have teak, but that has been removed, faired, and is sanded and ready for paint. However, the curved cabin top has large areas of spider cracking in the gelcoat. This gelcoat has a worn molded in nonskid pattern. I will post some photos once my account is activated. I have a few questions.

1. I understand the "best" way to fix the cracks in the gelcoat is to use a dremmel tool or similar to widen and deepen the cracks, then use epoxy filler to fair the cracks, correct? However, this boat literally has 50+ square feet of extensive cracking. Is there another method that will provide a lasting fix that will not allow the cracks to spread and print through to any future nonskid paint?? What about some CSM on top?

2. Once this repair is made, the cabin top will have some smooth repaired areas, and some old molded in nonskid. I know Kiwi Grip will hide this texture difference. This is what I suggested to the owner, but he is very hesitant, and doesn't want the decks to look like "popcorn ceiling". I've ordered a quart to do a few test patches, and to show the owner how the texture can vary, but if he says no go, what are my other options besides grinding the old nonskid off? Will other paints such as EZ-Decks, or Interdeck hide it? How much high build primer would it take?

Thank you for any help and comments in advance!!

montgwh
New Poster
New Poster

Re: deck repair and non-skid

Post by montgwh »

ok, I now have my account active so I will post some pictures. I worked on the deck today, and it looks like where the worst cracking is happening in where an old repair is. The repair became apparent once I started sanding. Some good news is that the old non-skid is not to hard to remove, so if the owner says no to kiwigrip, then I can sand off the old non-skid in about a day. Grinding the cracks out and repairing will take forever, so if anyone has any suggestions for something faster i'm all ears. Here are some pics.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

the last picture shows it best.
What about some CSM on top?
Will make a big mess, but I think you have the right thought..... you can put down a layer of woven cloth with very little fuss. Epoxy and woven cloth will not allow those cracks to telegraph through. Follow that up with a little fairing and primer, then your ready for paint and non-skid. The woven cloth will guarantee all those holes from the teak are sealed up.

dont use CSM, its too heavy and will make for more fairing work vs the light boat cloth. 4 or 6 oz cloth is here....

http://boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?cat=4

montgwh
New Poster
New Poster

Post by montgwh »

Thanks for the advice Joel. I wasn't sure if csm or woven wold be best. I talked with the owner and told him what needs to be done, and he said no go. Doesn't want to pay for all the extra labor, and he said it doesn't have to be perfect. Oh well. So the plan now is to remove old nonskid, fill any remaining hairline cracks with epoxy, grind out larger/longer cracks and repair, prime, paint. I'm sure this will make a nice deck for years, but I bet the cracks will return over the years. I hate "repairing" and not "fixing" it.

Yesterday I used 40 grit and removed the old nonskid. It wasn't to bad, only about 4 hours. On the plus side, 80% of the smaller hairline cracks are gone. Then I ground out the remaining large cracks or any that had a long run. Then the boat was pressure washed to remove dust and clean out cracks to prepare for epoxy. Once dry I will wipe with acetone and spread epoxy in hairline cracks and put some thickened epoxy in repair area.

I know this forum is for help with your products, and besides the marine epoxy, i'm not using anything else. If it's ok, I will continue to post my work so it might help someone else who is using your products.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

You might save him some time by using the kiwigrip, it is thick and will cover spider cracks. I would certainly seal them up with epoxy first though

DerekClark
New Poster
New Poster

Post by DerekClark »