1981 Grady White 240 Offshore - Transom Replacement

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1981 Grady White 240 Offshore - Transom Replacement

Post by Fuzz »

I am pretty sure the reason for cutting the stringers back in most cases is to be able to tab the new transom into the bottom. You need room to do this and it will make your life easier. Plus you do not need to cut the transom material to fit over the stringers.

scubapk01
certified project

Post by scubapk01 »

jacquesmm,
Thank you for reviewing my order.
Paul Kelly
scubapk01
South Shore Boston

gw204
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gw204 »

scubapk01 wrote:Not yet. What is the best location to inspect them.
Pull the floor panels that are over the tanks. Pull the floor supports. Pull the tanks. Check the areas where the floor supports screwed into the the stringers. Check the areas where the bulkheads intersect the stringers. There's no glass between the two to prevent water from migrating from one to the other.
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1980 Wenzel 1400
2003 Maycraft 1800 Skiff

scubapk01
certified project

Post by scubapk01 »

gw204 wrote:
scubapk01 wrote:Not yet. What is the best location to inspect them.
Pull the floor panels that are over the tanks.
Pull the floor supports.
Pull the tanks.
Check the areas where the floor supports screwed into the the stringers.
Check the areas where the bulkheads intersect the stringers.
There's no glass between the two to prevent water from migrating from one to the other.
10-4 got that. I still need to empty the 2 year fuel out of the tank. Not much in there which is good.
Was curious about under the tank. I do have another floor panel the same size as the fuel tank panel.
The crazy owner before me cut it in half and put a couple of hinges on it, added a few supports under neath and used the area for storage. Good idea, but when they cut it they never capped the cuts in the panel leaving the exposed plywood to get full of water. In order to use it for storage it is also not screwed down and water tight. That section drains to the back bilge area via a 3/4 tube under the tank section. While the previous owner kept it on a trailer, I will be leaving it on a mooring for the summer. Any rain will end up down in the bilge in no time and drain the battery.
That is another job.

Back to the transom.......I drilled a few inspection holes to see if there was another layer of plywood in the middle. Could not tell still so got the grinder onto it. Turns out the center section is all built up fiberglass.
Guess I am going with my plan to put a small sheet of 1/4 in plywood either side of the middle built up section, after I put 1 layer or fiberglass of the it. ( a pic diagrams about this are on the previous page to this)
Paul Kelly
scubapk01
South Shore Boston

gw204
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gw204 »

I had planned to convert the forward tank compartment on my old 227 Seafarer to storage as well. It was going to be trailer kept so draining to the bilge was fine with me. I can see the reservation with a moored boat though. What you could do is build a gutter system around the opening and then route a drain or two to a T in the lines for the helm area thru hulls.
Brian
St. Leonard, MD
1980 Wenzel 1400
2003 Maycraft 1800 Skiff

scubapk01
certified project

Post by scubapk01 »

gw204 wrote:I had planned to convert the forward tank compartment on my old 227 Seafarer to storage as well. It was going to be trailer kept so draining to the bilge was fine with me. I can see the reservation with a moored boat though. What you could do is build a gutter system around the opening and then route a drain or two to a T in the lines for the helm area thru hulls.
Yes agreed
I was planning something like that. The gutter should catch the majority of rain water and be up high enough to utilize an existing thru hull as you said. Good idea about the T.

What's your thought about the center section of the transom being thick fiberglass and either side thin?
I think if I put a 1/4in plywood either side then 3 x 3/4in should do the trick.
Last edited by scubapk01 on Wed May 04, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Kelly
scubapk01
South Shore Boston

scubapk01
certified project

Post by scubapk01 »

jacquesmm wrote:I found the order, it looks fine. You should have enough to complete the job.
Jacquesmm
Any update on my order?
Just trying to schedule my week ends. Even an estimate would be great.
Thank you.
Paul Kelly
scubapk01
South Shore Boston

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Email orderdesk@e-boat.net but I am certain that it went out yesterday. You should have received a UPS tracking number. Check your spam folder, sometimes those automated emails are considered spam.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I checked and you ordered Wednesday evening, we received it on Thursday and we shipped on Friday the 29th.
You should have received that tracking number.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

scubapk01
certified project

Post by scubapk01 »

jacquesmm wrote:I checked and you ordered Wednesday evening, we received it on Thursday and we shipped on Friday the 29th.
You should have received that tracking number.
Jacquesmm,
Thank you
I received my first small order Wednesday and yesterday afternoon received the tracking number for my larger order.
Paul Kelly
scubapk01
South Shore Boston