Sintes 21 Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sintes 21 Rebuild

Post by Cracker Larry »

My sin is I let the glass supplier talk me into using vinyl ester and his fairing puddy on the sides. So I worked on one side and did like I was told. Problem was the S**T never kicked and got hard. :oops: Crap was so soft there was no way to sand it so I ended up taking a chisel and scrapping 21 foot by 26 inches of hull with a 1/2 inch chisel :help: To top it off I got to break out the grinder and cover my shop with poly dust AGAIN :oops: :( Taking a break from the boat before I return to drinking. On second thought I do believe a little rum is called for :lol:
And you knew better than that :!: Friends don't let friends use vinylester, especially in Alaska in the winter 8O
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

topwater wrote:Fuzz looks like Mr Murphy bit you right in the A$$ :( Dude you know better
Believe it or not as I was spreading the crap on I keep hearing your voice whispering in my ear about Mr.Murphy. Maybe when I hear voices I need to obey them :lol:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Jaysen wrote:
Fuzz wrote:Jaysen if you read this no matter how much you think you might have screwed up this should make you feel better :wink:
I'n your defense, you were using unknown product from a source that had to "talk you into" it. Let's call it "his fault" this time!

And for the record, the fact that guys like you do this is what has me terrified. If you can do it, what chance do I have of a "f me!" free build?
Well everyone makes a few screw ups along the way. In almost every case they can be fixed. Might not be fun but it can be fixed. Safest thing to do is stick with the products sold here and stay on the proven path. My problem is I have always liked to try the new stuff. That carries more risk than most folks would like. :help:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Cracker Larry wrote:
My sin is I let the glass supplier talk me into using vinyl ester and his fairing puddy on the sides. So I worked on one side and did like I was told. Problem was the S**T never kicked and got hard. :oops: Crap was so soft there was no way to sand it so I ended up taking a chisel and scrapping 21 foot by 26 inches of hull with a 1/2 inch chisel :help: To top it off I got to break out the grinder and cover my shop with poly dust AGAIN :oops: :( Taking a break from the boat before I return to drinking. On second thought I do believe a little rum is called for :lol:
And you knew better than that :!: Friends don't let friends use vinylester, especially in Alaska in the winter 8O
Yep, in the end I did know better. I just thought I would give something new a try :help: Nothing like letting Mr Murphy bite you right in the butt.
I waited a couple of days to post this. I knew I was making myself look stupid. But if it helps somebody else from making the same screw up then I guess I will wear the dunce cap. :roll:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fuzz, my build plans all start like

1. Make sure Bateau has it, if not, you don't need it.
2. Go to the plans page and add EVERYTHING to the cart. BUY IT ALL.
3. Call Jeff and double the epoxy and add all the things everyone told you you'd need.
4. Pay Jacques and crew then begin drinking to CL on High for build blessings.

And yes, there are planS. This will not be the only boat in our yard.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice comments Jaysen!!! Happy holidays to you and your family!! Tell your Paratrooper I said happy holidays as well!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

I waited a couple of days to post this. I knew I was making myself look stupid. But if it helps somebody else from making the same screw up then I guess I will wear the dunce cap. :roll:
When I built the OD18 I posted every F Up I made with the same intent. Humbling myself publicly is a way to assure I don't do the same thing again, and others can read it and say "Whoa! Won't do the same thing as that dumb ass!"

And as we often say here in Florida..."Aint nothing but a thang."

P.S. At work today in shorts, a light T shirt, and sandals.. 8) 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

CapeMan you are killing me :D As I sit here looking at it snowing outside. Well at least it has warmed up 8)

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well I have been plugging along trying to clean things up. I used wood flower glue to fill in some low spots that were bigger than I wanted to fill with Quickfair. That is the darker spots you see.Image

And here is the side that I have been having so much fun with :roll: This is after two rounds of fairing and then some blue guide coat so I can see where I am at. I am hoping two more rounds of fairing will be enough, we will see :doh: Image

The hull does not look like it has that much dead rise but I have learned that after putting a seal coat of epoxy on it the only way to keep from sliding off was to sand it with 60 grit to have a little traction. That dang epoxy is some slick stuff :lol:
Last edited by Fuzz on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Fuzz, really good progress!!! Hope you guys are warm up there!!! Happy holidays, Jeff