Sintes 21 Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sintes 21 Rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

Well I got to the point I was chasing my tail so I put a thin layer of primer on the side to see where I am at.

The primer was still wet when I took the pictures and quit for the day. That is why the primer looks spotty. Getting lazy, it was only midnight :lol:
Last edited by Fuzz on Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
You are working fast but most probably that is the only way to get a move on with a bigger boat. I could not imagine to work until midnight. It is good to see your progress on the side of the boat documented with a picture because I will be doing the bottom and the sides soon and I always learn from detailed pictures. Have a happy and not to cold up there festive season.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks Karl,
This hull was pot marked like a teenage boy with a bad case of acne. :( The first pictures did not show how bad it really was. I am still not too sure how well this is going to come out :doh: My first plan was to gel coat the sides. My thought was this would not shine like paint and show all the little flaws. That did work out so well :help: so I went to plan "B".
I will bring the graphite up the sides about three inches so I did not prime that area. The shear line will get a bunch of work so I am not worrying with that area yet also. I still do not have a plan for painting the sides so when I get to that point I will be seeking lots of advice.
One more round of fairing on the bottom finished today. So question for the pros, should I prime the bottom or just go ahead and lay the graphite on it?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

There was another build thread that asked the same. Don't recall if it was an od or ob. I believe the outcome come was "don't waste the primer" as it doesn't do anything for you. I believe CL commented to that effect.

Found it!!

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php ... ry#p382333
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

topwater

Post by topwater »

Fuzz Go right to graphite .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Straight to graphite it will be. Thanks for the advice Topwater and the link Jaysen.
Might be a day or so. After looking at the bottom at least one more round of fairing is called for. And it looks like I will get to spend most of today plowing snow :roll:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
We just have a wiff of snow 1 cm so I can still cycle with my Winter dog everyday 6 km. She is a cross between a Bernese mountain dog and a Samojede and I hope she will one day be a waterdog sailing with me on the Adelie. Good luck with the graphite.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Change of plans due to a Cloof moment.
About a week ago I "misplaced" my wallet. I was sure I would stumble across it in a day or so but after three days of looking no go :( so after going to DMV for a new drivers licence I cancelled all my debit and credit cards. I was told 3-7 days for replacements. We will see about that. Now all of this would be nothing but a "thang" if I did not need to order some stuff. I was totally sure I had plenty of graphite to do my boat but sure enough I am no where close :oops: . So I guess I will keep on working the sides over until I can get my supplies.

cape man

Post by cape man »

What really sucks, is if you are like me, two or three days after you replace everything you will find the old wallet. :roll: :roll:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

cape man wrote:What really sucks, is if you are like me, two or three days after you replace everything you will find the old wallet. :roll: :roll:
That's the only way to guarantee it wasn't stolen.

If you do nothing, it will turn out to have been stolen, and you will have a big fight with your bank trying to get money back.

If you report it, it will turn out to have been in a jacket you forgot you wore.

It's the same as weather. If it's beautiful so you plan a fishing trip for Saturday, you just ruined the weather for everyone. If you volunteer to work because you're sure the perfect weather won't last all week and then the weekend too, all your friends will haul in the best fish of the year.

Unavoidable.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349