Sintes 21 Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Sintes 21 Rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

Well now that I am retired I was planning on laying around the house eating bon-bons all winter. SWMBO has made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that my plan is not going to fly :( So I thought now is a good time to work on other projects out in the shop. She never goes out there so I am good :lol: This is what I came up with. It is a Dave Sintes design out of C-flex I built about 1990. It has had a hard life and needs some love.
Last edited by Fuzz on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzz

Re: Sintes 21 Rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

I thought the best thing to start with would be to peel off all the old gelcoat and fair the hull. This is where I ran into problem #1. The old gelcoat is soft and will not cut. It just gums up my sand paper :( I ended up using a 7 inch grinder with 16 grit paper to clean up the transom. It only took me three hours to do that small area. At that rate it would take a month for the whole hull, anyone got a bright idea?

topwater

Post by topwater »

Nice looking hull Fuzz . Congrats on the retirement and welcome to the Cloof club :wink: I know nothing about gel coat,
is it water soaked :?: My wife told me the same thing that's why i built my Novi .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks Topwater,
The hull is not water soaked just really rough and beat up. The transom is rotted and I have removed 75% of it already. The stringers are solid. I do think the basic shape of the hull is nice looking so I want to save it. I do not think there will be many more of his designs built as I heard he passed not long ago.
The gel coat is well attached, just soft enough to clog up sandpaper and not cut well. I am wondering if I can get away with putting a coat of epoxy over the whole thing and then fairing it? Or would I be making more problems for myself?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

If its soft enough to clog paper I wonder if chemicals would cut it?

You said you are the original builder, do you remember what product it is? I dont know much on the topic but its a thought anyways......

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Fuzz wrote: I was planning on laying around the house eating bon-bons all winter.
:lol: that made me chuckle, nice bow flare on that one 8)

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

narfi wrote:If its soft enough to clog paper I wonder if chemicals would cut it?

You said you are the original builder, do you remember what product it is? I dont know much on the topic but its a thought anyways......
I am sure it is an ISO gelcoat. That is all I used back then. I am pretty sure it did not have wax in it and thus the incomplete cure. Groups like this did not exist back then. I have made more than my fair share of boat building screw ups over the years. I am hoping to not have a repeat on this project. For now I guess I will get friendly with the sander and at least get things roughed up even if I do not get all the gelcoat removed. I will run it outside and sand for an hour or so until I get froze out. Sort of hard to work up much enthusiasm for outdoor work this time of the year.

Glad I got a smile out of you Peter :D

topwater

Post by topwater »

Fuzz i wouldn't put paint over anything you are not sure of , mister Murphy will rear his ugly head and bite you
right in the ass every time .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

topwater wrote:Fuzz i wouldn't put paint over anything you are not sure of , mister Murphy will rear his ugly head and bite you
right in the ass every time .
Thanks Topwater,
In my heart I knew that from the start. I just had a dream somebody had an idea that would save me from the sander :( Well I guess I will just have to buck up like a big boy and go take my medicine :cry:

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Well I spent the afternoon with a 4 inch grinder and a bunch of 24 grit disks. I got one side done. One more and the bottom to go.Image

When I get done I will get to spend days cleaning up the gelcoat dust. :cry:
Last edited by Fuzz on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.