Tramsom material - Meranti 1008 or 6566?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
jeffscott4171
New Poster
New Poster

Tramsom material - Meranti 1008 or 6566?

Post by jeffscott4171 »

Which type of material is recommended for the transom? Also, the gunnels and deck / floor? The boat is a Mako 228.

Sinc,Jeff

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Tramsom material - Meranti 1008 or 6566?

Post by Cracker Larry »

I would use the 6566 for all of that. It's plenty good enough.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, I fully agree with CL!! Meranti BS6566 is fine for that use and the best expense for its use as well!! Happy holidays, Jeff

jeffscott4171
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jeffscott4171 »

Thanks so much, few more question - two 3/4 pieces used for a transom on a 22 ft mako? Are these put together as one piece for the transom, or install one 3/4 inch, glass in a few layers of biax, then 2nd piece of 3/4? I need flooring (deck) as well as the gunnels (also rot) - 3/4" for this as well?

Sinc,Jeff

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

Glass in the middle would be a waste of glass in my opinion. You will want to glue the transom material directly with wood flour thickened epoxy. Glass works best as a skin/pair of skins on a panel, because its strength is mostly in tension, the two transom panels are never going to flex in a way that puts any load on the glass in the center.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Correct, glass in the middle will not add strength.
It is sometimes used to fill gaps between layers of cheap, rough plywood but no need for that with the quality plywood you plan to use.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jeffscott4171
New Poster
New Poster

Post by jeffscott4171 »

I cut open the top of the stringers to inspect the wood. A couple small rot areas (not even the width of the stringer). More like the area of a quarter (coin) down to the bottom. If the top of the stringer (wood exposed to the outside weather ) for a few months, can these be re-sealed with biax cloth / epoxy, or do I need to dig out all the wood at this point? They are still hard as a rock except for the one area mentioned on one side. Is there a way to add photos on this forum?
Also, the flour based epoxy to join two 3/4 inch 6566 is at your store in stock? Your store is en route to where I am so I can stop by when ready and skip on the shipping.

Thanks so much !

Sincerely,
Jeff Scott

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jeff, Just let me know what you need and I will bring down to Stuart and meet you somewhere. I live in Stuart as well!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jeffscott I would dig out any rotten wood that you have found or use a Dremel to gouge it out. Once rot has started it won't stop. Once you have it all out you can take a small piece of 1/4" and glue it around the place you have gouged out. I just don't believe in leaving any rot areas that may grow over time.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

bateau-webmaster

Post by bateau-webmaster »

jeffscott4171 wrote:I cut open the top of the stringers to inspect the wood. A couple small rot areas (not even the width of the stringer). More like the area of a quarter (coin) down to the bottom. If the top of the stringer (wood exposed to the outside weather ) for a few months, can these be re-sealed with biax cloth / epoxy, or do I need to dig out all the wood at this point? They are still hard as a rock except for the one area mentioned on one side. Is there a way to add photos on this forum?
Also, the flour based epoxy to join two 3/4 inch 6566 is at your store in stock? Your store is en route to where I am so I can stop by when ready and skip on the shipping.

Thanks so much !

Sincerely,
Jeff Scott
Thanks Tom, had the following typed up yesterday, and apparently it didn't submit when I thought it did:

It may be possible to simply dig out and fill the rotten areas with thickened epoxy, or rot-fix. The problem with rot, is usually that it goes further than it looks. You might find that you dig/drill out the quarter sized area, and you find a vein of rot that runs all along the bottom of the stringer. I would say go ahead and drill out the rotten wood as best you can, and inspect it really well to see if there is any further rot. If the rest of the stringer is still solid, fill it up and glass over it.