Paint over aluminum hull

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Paint over aluminum hull

Post by Jaysen »

Local guy bought an aluminum boat for the local waters. Apparently I'm the local nut job building his own boat so everyone sent him to me with the following question:
What should I use/do to repaint my hull?
I told him to scrape/wire bush any lose paint off (do entire hull to rough it up). Seal any exposed metal with etching primer. Next was a general primer. Not sure what to tell him for top coat. I'm thinking EMC since the aluminum will flex a bit. I also mentioned that I could be entirely wrong and would ask folks smarter than me.

Anyone have any advice I should pass on to him? Recommendations on top coat?

Thanks.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Paint over aluminum hull

Post by Fuzz »

Take a wire brush on a sander/grinder and knock all the paint off it. Go fishing.
Best thing about a tin can is you can beat and bang, use and abuse, them and it does not hurt their looks. That is a large part of why aluminium is so popular here for work boats.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That was my idea. Some people just like doing things the hard way. According to the boss I fall into that category...
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

That could be said for everyone on this forum! :roll: Nothing about doing this would be considered easy except a kit and that only lasts so long as "easy". :lol:

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

BB Sig wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:37 pm That could be said for everyone on this forum! :roll: Nothing about doing this would be considered easy except a kit and that only lasts so long as "easy". :lol:
As kit cheater (and proud of it) I can confirm the truth of your response :?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I did a Lund once upon a day and it came out great. Sold the boat to a guy for a lousy 800 bucks (it was gorgeous in and out) and he hemmed and hawed about it and I finally told him to buy it or I was going to think he was stupid and go back in the house. Then he said how about 750 and I laughed and said he should go shop new.

Sand, fill, mask off, then

Etching primer.
Primer. Sandable is better and you can reprime usually. Nice if so cuz imperfections pop under primer, not so much the etch.
Topcoat preferred finish.

I like the three step method. I think Interlux might have a two step method now as well. A two part topcoat is harder, so you start there and buy the right primers.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495