28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 28 Bertram Restoration Boat 2

Post by TRC886 »

Awesome work, Mike :!: I think you should be upgraded to "Expert" :idea: Jeff, are you listening :?:

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Nice job man. Hardtop looks great!

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

Hardtop going to have any crown to it?

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

No crown on this one. Did that with last boat. Trying something different

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Well I have gone and done it again. Found another project. Will create new thread titled Stratos Restoration

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You just can't help yourself.......................and I like it :lol:

devinfox
New Poster
New Poster

Post by devinfox »

“They mix Carbocil with their epoxy and then trowel it on. The glass goes on next. They then use a plastic trowel and scrape any excess paste out from beneath the glass. this is followed by brushing on epoxy followed by another troweling to remove excess. I had some release film that I then applied on top of that on part of it to see how it worked. I used extra slow harder to give myself plenty of time.”

If you don’t mind clarifying, this sounds like a nice way to do it. You spread thickened epoxy with a trowel then lay dry glass in it? Then scrape excess paste out from underneath? I am having a hard time picturing unless you mean cleaning up squeeze out from the edges. Then you wet out cloth with pure epoxy/no filler? Thank you!

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

Correct on the glass application. The brush on epoxy is not thickened. I have done a lot more since the original post and the more I do the more I like it.

It rained all weekend in Greenville. Forced me to work in the shop all weekend. What a shame.

I think I have all the glass laid and the first round of fairing and sanding done. I have started using Adtech ProSeal EZ-15 as the first step in fairing. I have found it to be great stuff. I have played around with mixing different things with it to thicken it up so it is not so thin and runny. Carbosil and Glass Bubbles both work well and make the adtech easier to sand. This stuff is so nice because it is thin enough to fill without leaving micro holes like standard faring compounds do and it can be applied to unsanded glass if applied within 24 hours. If you look at the pix that is why everything is white. If you give it a try, don't wait too long to sand because it get real hard real fast. I try to sand the next day. Also got the hard top lifted up temporarily

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

What's the lamination schedule for the blue foam or are those just templates?
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff »

templates