Mastercraft prostar 190

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Mastercraft prostar 190

Post by deuce_454 »

Ok.. ive been searchig for plans for a 18-20 foot boat for Nice weathers Fishing and waterskiing.... but I got a too good to be true offer on a 1994 master raft with a fresh water cooled 275 hp indmar. .. it looks a little sad and I'll have to sew I new interior... but for 4500 I can't build anything that sails as nice...

My question is how do I refinish it and change color ... I have 2 gallons of automotive 2 part polyurethane... is that usable if I prime with epoxy primer??? Or is marine paint significantly different??? Or can I add a softening agent ??

Also is it possible to glue in a hardwood floor or "isitteak ". (Don't want fish on the carpets.... (or would you retain the carpeted floor???

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Mastercraft prostar 190

Post by TRC886 »

IMHO, that is a first class ski boat, but it's so specialized that it's marginal for anything else. One of the problems is that the motor sits in the center of the cockpit, and is constantly in the way. On the other hand, for 4500, you may can tolerate some marginalization. Another thing about these type boats is that they hold their value very well. If you find it to be unacceptable, you should be able to sell it and recoup your money.

The boat is over 20 years old. The work you're talking about is mostly cosmetic, paint and an interior. Is the boat solid? Are the stringers, beds for motor mounts, transom, etc. in good shape? What about where the propeller and rudder shafts penetrate the hull? Usually, if something is "...too good to be true...", it is too good to be true.

As far as the carpet goes, many fishing boats have carpet. I don't think I would take it out or wrap it up, but I don't know that I would add it either. It's your boat, do as you please. Good luck on whatever you do :!:

deuce_454
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by deuce_454 »

MC stopped using wood for structural stuff in 1990 .. the honeycomb is dead and the wiring is a mess... had to make a new dashboard... and the interior is shot.. but skaft is straight. Rudder is fine and prop is ok.. the engine install (an injected, freshwater cooled indmar) was done by someone who really shouldn't touch wiring... so there are a lot is cosmetic issues... but the boat is solid... not sure if there is any osmosis damnage .. so I'm thinking I should strip the gel coat and epoxy below the waterline . Will post pics

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

deuce_454 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:13 pm MC stopped using wood for structural stuff in 1990 .. the honeycomb is dead and the wiring is a mess... had to make a new dashboard... and the interior is shot.. but skaft is straight. Rudder is fine and prop is ok.. the engine install (an injected, freshwater cooled indmar) was done by someone who really shouldn't touch wiring... so there are a lot is cosmetic issues... but the boat is solid... not sure if there is any osmosis damnage .. so I'm thinking I should strip the gel coat and epoxy below the waterline . Will post pics
In that case, it sounds like you have a nice project, and will end up with a very nice boat 8)

I'm not a painter, but I think Imron is a two part polyurethane paint. It has been used successfully on boats, so your paint may be OK. Here is a thread on another forum about it: http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread. ... pont-Imron

Good luck on it, and don't forget the pics :!: