DAYTRIPs Bertram 28 Strech

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

DAYTRIPs Bertram 28 Strech

Post by DAYTRIP »

First off, I need to seek help for my boat project addiction. I said never again until I saw Mbiggerstaff start his project #2. In that thread he asked about adding to the running surface and I have to say that I was a nay sayer. I have now turned 180 degrees and decided Why not try it. There are many risks but what the heck. Sorry Mike if I deterred you. I promises it was not intentional.

My current 28 runs really great. With 11' beam at the widest part it has room to get longer (I think). Right now it would be a similar layout with some minor tweaks. Not much I don't like about mine but some things I would revise slightly.

So here is the initial concept, this stretches the running surface 4'6" which makes it 33'. Then the bracket adds 2'6 more. Lots to figure out. Not sure of the approach yet but for now I am taking the hull apart and it will likely sit a while until I get a plan and some time. The hull has been on land for 20 years. Bottom already blasted off. Everything original if anyone wants anything including flybridge, engines, controls, velvet drive transmissions, .... get in touch FAST. I wont store it but you can have it.

Last edited by DAYTRIP on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2TDave
New Poster
New Poster

Re: DAYTRIPs Bertram 28 Strech

Post by 2TDave »

And so it begins. This will be good! I’ll google 12 step programs for boat builders and see if we can’t find some help before the rash is in full effect.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Dang DayTrip you got it bad! Building small boats is one thing but totally rebuilding ones this size is a whole different level. Looking forward to watching this all happen. The last one turned out great and I am sure this one will too.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Daytrip,

Awesome project!!! I love it when guys can take these older inboards and convert them into really nice outboards with tons of room. It will be a fishing machine when you are done! Good luck, I will be following!

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

topwater

Post by topwater »

Next thing you'll know you will be getting paid to do this.
Novi 23 finally launched !

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

I am too nastalgic. I love the classic names and I do like the lines on the 28 for outboards. It is way easier to build one of Jacques designs....trust me. I am very tempted by the AB23. This one is another experiment but it helps with stress relief and mind diversion :doh:

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Took the lid off and the running gear is off as well

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

DayTrip, where do you have your boat in a local yard? Jeff

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Right now it is in Indiantown marina Jeff. Hope to pull the engines and get it to north palm in two weeks

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Daytrip, when you have time, give me a call at the shop (772.770.1225) as I have a few questions I would like to ask about the Boat yard you are using!! No rush, just when you have five minutes to talk. Jeff