20 foot seacraft deck

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

20 foot seacraft deck

Post by lelandtampa »

I am rebuilding a 20' seacraft and have cut the floor out and plan on using 3/4" marine ply with epoxy and glass on both sides. I will raise the stringers about 2" to help with self bailing but my question is this: what glass do I need to layup on both sides to provide protection for the ply but not add excessive weight and cost? I am thinking 1 layer of 1708 on the bottom of ply then tab floor to hull with 12" wide 1708 tape with supporting cleats at hull side then 2 layers of 1708 on topof deck. Let me know if this is overkill or not enough. Widest span from port to starboard will be about 15 inches un supported.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 20 foot seacraft deck

Post by Fuzz »

For a deck I would use 3/4 nidacore with the layup you have planned. Cost will not be much more but it will be much lighter.

cape man

Post by cape man »

...or 1/2 inch Okume with 12 ounce cloth on top and just sealed with epoxy below... Sitting on the stringers and supported on the sides that deck won't flex at all. The cloth on top will protect it from dings, and 3 coats of epoxy below will seal it completely.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa »

Not so quick question. What is the best way of determining the new deck level along the sides of the boat? Port stringer is 3/8" to 1/2" lower in places than starboard. Boat is level on trailer. I cannot simply measure up from the chine since the glass on the hull differs in height by 3/8" a long the way and differs by 1/2 from port and starboard? Any tips? I have a straight 2x4 ripped to my finished deck height should I just level that up across stringers and make a mark on gunnel? I need an accurate line along gunnel to set my cleats for the edge of the deck.

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

lelandtampa wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:39 am What is the best way of determining the new deck level along the sides of the boat?
Get a long enough clear plastic tube, partially fill with colored water, run it across on the inside of the hull. If the boat is level, the water levels on each side will give you a level point on each side of the hull. Image
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa »

Thanks I completely forgot about a water level.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

lelandtampa, Welcome to the Builders Forum!! As you have already seen, you will get good support here with your project!! Please photo/film your project so we can follow your progress!! Again, welcome, Jeff

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa »

Thanks I completely forgot about a water level.

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa »

water level worked like a charm.

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa »

It is nearing time to raise and cap my stringers with foam and glass. I plan on 3 layers of 1708 with epoxy over the foam. Question is how to over lap my layers?. Should I go 4" down the side then 6 then 8 or 8 then 6 then 4? These are the large foam filled stringers.