1981 Dolphin 20' Commercial

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1981 Dolphin 20' Commercial

Post by Fuzz »

Sounds like a smart move to me. Anything that spreads the force over a larger area is good.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yes.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver »

Small update, got the fish box all glassed up, still contemplation if i want to beef up the sides a little, I would just do 1 more layer of 1708. Idk how but when i fit the glass and laid in there the first time everything was right but as normal after cutting more fiberglass the sheets got small on me and didnt go all the way up the sides. I have 3 layers of 1708 on all sides overlapped corners then put a layer of mat for finishing. Probably do some mat where the chase tube will go just to have it sealed. Also got my gas tank fitted so its full supported by the stringers i put in.

Its finally coming together planning on getting the fish box faired out and everything sanded to start putting bilge paint down and foam empty compartments. Then comes the floor which i already have two boards cut and ready.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Support for fuel tank looks good. Progress is being made :D

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver »

Little update, I've got the tank fitted, all pumping fit just holding off glueing them in for any last minute adjustments, I've got my floor ready to do and have epoxied a few of them. I put 1 layer of 1708 on top and put 2 coats of epoxy on the bottom to seal up the wood.

On a somewhat sad note ive pretty much realized that with the limited time i have to work on this project there's no way its gonna be finished this summer, which i was really shooting for. With that said I'm gonna let a close friend of mine, that has been doing this for 10+ years, do the remaining fit and finish. I know i feel kinda of disappointed that i don't get to see it all the way through but i have made all the major improvements and he's really just fitting the deck and fairing everything with the addition him putting in a live well in the back middle. I will say ive seen his end product of boats he's redone and there would be no way i could make it look that good on my first try, it takes years of experience and time. Luckily he has both. I will continue to show updates throughout the remaining process. I would feel deeply disappointed if i didn't share it with y'all since this has been a 2+ year project now. But we are planning and should surely have it in the water before the end of the summer so i can actually start to use and enjoy it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

Keep posting the progress. I fully appreciate having a professional take it from here. You did the really fun part 8)
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Letting someone else finish the boat is much better than not finishing it for a long time. And having it to use is a big deal.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Doing QA on finishing is really hard and very time consuming.

I was going to get the cabin all faired so Incould sand today and tomorrow and so far today all yard work.

Summer is harder for me to work on the boat. And hours aren't the only issue. My back and hips are not good. I wake up sore every morning.

If you can get help; go for it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver »

Little update, fish box is plumed true as well as being faired and painted. Bottom of the deck had 3 layers of epoxy laid down then painted. I don't have pictures of the cap but it was been all sanded up from all the mess i made on it. Then started fairing on the outside. As my buddy put it she is going to need a lot of love. haha. Enjoy the pictures.