1981 Dolphin 20' Commercial

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1981 Dolphin 20' Commercial

Post by MSRiver »

double post

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver »

Another small update, fish box done, bilge area done, gas tank area done. Fish box gutter hatch is done. I believe is finish up the rest of the hatches, doing to preliminary plumbing then fitting in the tank foaming in the rest of the voided areas.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work!!! Jeff

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver »

Progress in the winter months. Buddy has been getting after it here lately. To pick up where i left off gas tank and all plumbing has been run, pick up installed and under deck compartments have final paint. All other areas under the hull that werent being used were foamed in with 2lb foam. Deck has now been laid and glassed down. Side supports were made, with that i loved the line work for them but made us rethink about room between them and the console. Im 6'4 so the console was already a little low but adding the toe kick to the console has raised it some as well making it look more clean. As of last the side supports front blkhead have been glassed and cap was taken off to fix a few of my issues and prep the rest of the hull. Enjoy the pictures.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice progress!! Jeff

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Wow!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver »

Little progress report, inside is faired and has high build primer. Outside has been faired and has a high build primer. Front deck hatch is completed. I have a video of my buddy doing a vacuum seal job for it but cant get it to upload. Regardless it turned out really nice. Might just be the pride of joy of this whole boat.

Which also turns me to another question about paint colors. I was at first thinking about doing a aqua mist which after seeing it in person its a little too baby blue for my liking. I have seen how an aqua mist mixed with a cream white turns kinda green but still. Im trying to find something a little more green that comes standard without a complete custom. Something ive had on my mind is how Hells Bay does a Sea mist. I was wondering if yall might have an idea of where to look for something like this.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Seafoam.

Why did you cut the stringer top?

It would have been better to hole the bottom. They like to break when cut. Think opposite of a house rafter.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MSRiver
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MSRiver »

Fallguy, are you talking about where the chase tubes are? If so there really wasn't a way around it. There just wasn't enough room to turn those big 4" chases to 45 them across the stringer then 45 them up out the floor and room to fit the gas tank. Take in mind those big 1.5" stringers are roughly 8" tall and those cuts are maybe 2.5" then the 3/4" floor over them. I was highly assured that cutting that little bit would not matter. I do see what you saying though wish i could have avoided it, but thats what you run into in a 20' boat with short sides.

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Seafoam green or guide green.
Gary
GF-16 Completed