Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

The way I deal with the issue is to have lever plugs on the exterior. I don't like the risk of a plug falling out underway; so a spare is kept onboard and I test the hold almost every launch with a good tug.

I keep the plugs on the forward bow eye when not in the hull. This way, I never accidentely forget as I have to see the plugs to launch. You can forget to pull them; a fine if caught. Use a big D hook that is ally so it wears instead of eye; although my eye is wearing from the trailerp some.

Also, keep a can of WD40 in the motorwell to lube the plugs before inserting. Or spit works. Hmmm. No apologies.

I have no inside access to plugs. Before the law; had to remove battery and perm plug the boat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Attaching the plug to the bow eye is a good idea. :)
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Thanks for the compliments. Means a lot coming from this crowd. Not sure on the direction I'll take with the drain but grateful everyone's input. I've never installed one of the flared tube drains - presumably I would need the proper flaring tool.

Not much to update. I did get the thru hulls / backing plates / seacocks installed totally. I waxed the flange, thru hull and bolts. Assembled everything with the backing plate embedded in thickened epoxy. Cleaned up the filet. The next day disassembled everything and de-waxed. Then I reassembled with copious 4200. Dry fitting many times in advance of this was key to success when it mattered. I feel like this took way longer than it should have...but that is how it goes.

A few pics of that:

No doubt that series is way more closeups of thru hulls than anyone wanted to see!

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

So moving forward after the thru hulls I began to measure and cut the sole. I only cut out the stern most piece. Using 1/2 marine ply. I plan to epoxy the bottom and 1708 the topside. I have read others had a hard time getting the deck pieces in due to the wide gunnel cap - turns out that is a real thing! I couldn't get it past the cap.

So, I started to take off the rubrail with the realization that the cap would need to come off. I figured this would be needed anyway to work on some cap repair, but was hoping it could wait a bit.

The rubrail is attached via stainless screws on pretty close centers. Maybe 8". The ones near the stern are very hard to get out and I promptly snapped off 4 or 5. After that they came out easier. I only made it up one side of the boat before dark and rain came. Unfortunately I cracked the rubrail trying to pull it over the snapped off screws. Bummer. I was hoping I could reuse it. That may have only been wishful thinking as it is 35 year old rubber but I sheepshead fish under bridges tied off to pylons so having a pretty rubrail isn't high on my list of wants. I did price some of the Taco rubrails online as a result. They are a smaller height than I currently have and not a cheap part. Not sure what I'll do there. May depend on how the rest of the rail comes off.

Getting the rubrail / cap off and dry fitting the sole is where I am heading next I think.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You were talking about a flaring tool for the brass tubes. There is a set that came from Cracker Larry that gets passed around. I believe Dutch1 is the current holder. There is a thread in the tools section. I am sure if you contact him he will send them to you. They are sort of a legacy gift Larry left to all of us :wink:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Yes, the brass tube flaring tool. Makes me smile to know CL's tools are in shared use. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware.

bobmaes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bobmaes »

Hello boguesounder

I saw your project thread for the first time today, and being a restorer and owner of a Privateer Retriever myself I'm very happy and excited that I found your thread.

You are doing some very nice work and I am sure you are on your way to a very good result.

I spent 10 years on and off with my project and I'm pretty sure we could have a good conversation about rebuilding Privateer Retrievers that you may find interesting. My finished Retriever came out really nice and I would be happy to share my thoughts with you if you are interested. Reach out to me if you like.

I will be following your thread with great interest. Best of luck to you.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Bob,
Hi, and thanks for reaching out! Good to here from another Retriever owner...and restorer! Are you in NC? What is your boat powered with? I'd love to learn more about your project and see any photos. I'm always looking for inspiration and lessons learned. I am eager to work on mine and constantly thinking about it. It has been raining so much here this winter that it has really slowed my anticipated progress...may take me 10 years also! I did get two pieces of the deck cut and dry fit yesterday after the 4" of rain we had on Friday / Saturday...jeez.

In the meantime I have been making decisions about hatches and paint. I'll send you a PM.

Thanks!

Edit, see you are NJ.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Bob,
One other question. Is your tank above or below deck?

Thanks

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Did you ever come up with the drain flaring tools? If not let me know I can loan you mine.