Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Post by boguesounder »

A few questions:

1. I used 17oz tape on the deck to hull joint. I'd like to make that transition look better. I just hit it lightly with a sander. What would be the best way to fill this weave and make it look better? Fill weave with fairing compound and sand in? The boat will just be a fishing boat so doesn't need perfection but figure I should give it a little love while I'm at it.

2. The fillet between the deck and hull sagged in a few locations when I rolled the tape on. I think if I don't raise these they will hold dirt and funk and be a place of future failure. I was thinking of a light sand and new fillet shaped. New fillet will need tape over it won't it? Never seen anyone do a fillet with no tape?

Thanks for any advice!

This tape line is where I am talking about:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Ok, about time for an update. It has been awhile since my last round of photos here. Work on the boat stays constant on my mind but only sporadic in my actual ability to get anything done.

Since my last post I spent a long time stuck in fairing purgatory. Sure it is just a work boat, but I gave a decent run at making her reasonably fair. I didn't really photograph much of this but I used a few different fairing compounds for different things. She is reasonably fair inside and out now.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

We like pictures, but good to hear you're making progress.
Hank

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

pee wee wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:14 am We like pictures, but good to hear you're making progress.
:D

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

boguesounder wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:42 am Ok, about time for an update. It has been awhile since my last round of photos here. Work on the boat stays constant on my mind but only sporadic in my actual ability to get anything done.

Since my last post I spent a long time stuck in fairing purgatory. Sure it is just a work boat, but I gave a decent run at making her reasonably fair. I didn't really photograph much of this but I used a few different fairing compounds for different things. She is reasonably fair inside and out now.
Use a long board. Run it on the same angle as the bow on strokes your body can handle.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

boguesounder wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:17 pm A few questions:

1. I used 17oz tape on the deck to hull joint. I'd like to make that transition look better. I just hit it lightly with a sander. What would be the best way to fill this weave and make it look better? Fill weave with fairing compound and sand in? The boat will just be a fishing boat so doesn't need perfection but figure I should give it a little love while I'm at it.

2. The fillet between the deck and hull sagged in a few locations when I rolled the tape on. I think if I don't raise these they will hold dirt and funk and be a place of future failure. I was thinking of a light sand and new fillet shaped. New fillet will need tape over it won't it? Never seen anyone do a fillet with no tape?

Thanks for any advice!

This tape line is where I am talking about:
Sorry I missed this note.

Fillets without glass on one side will generally crack overtime. But fairing over glass is fine.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Hey guys! Sorry, I was working to post some pics the other day but got called away from the computer before I could finish - it is a bit of a process with the resizing and embed codes and what not!

Ok, don't think I took many fairing pics...used a few different fairing compounds and generally worked myself really hard. Fairing...ugh.

Few pics to give the flavor of the fair. I did this a few times on the exterior. Interior was worse. Took off the rubrail and will be getting a new one...36 year old rub rail doesn't have much more flex left:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Constructed a front casting deck / storage compartment. 1/2" marine ply, fully glassed, vertical and horizonal supports, tabbed everywhere inside and out. Friend happened by while I was tabbing the inside and thought I was stuck - tight space.

Mocked with foam first and went from there.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Have some more to share but its getting late - so stay tuned!

Got a motor - pretty excited about that. Managed to get 2 coats of primer on the exterior over the last few days. Came out well.

I'll get back on here over the next few days and upload some more pics. Thanks for any comments, questions, and tips. Night...

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I bought rubrail from rubrails.com. Alan is the guy. Super good guy, but shipping from Florida was insane. $450 freight for the long pieces of rr. Could have saved $80 to go an pick them up, but how the heck was I gonna haul 20 footers without borrowing a trailer or some such? Just paid the $450. Ouch, Total cost was $1000 per boat for Lagoon 45 rubrail. Budget miss totally.