Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Post by boguesounder »

Fallguy, thanks for the link. I have not seen that supplier before. Yikes on the cost! I was looking at some Taco made flexible vinyl with inserts for around $250-300 with reasonable shipping. Missed a new one on Craigslist locally that sold for $100 last month...guy didn't use it on his project and missed the return window. Would have been perfect. I'm a ways out on that and will keep looking for a deal. Thanks!

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

boguesounder wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:08 am Fallguy, thanks for the link. I have not seen that supplier before. Yikes on the cost! I was looking at some Taco made flexible vinyl with inserts for around $250-300 with reasonable shipping. Missed a new one on Craigslist locally that sold for $100 last month...guy didn't use it on his project and missed the return window. Would have been perfect. I'm a ways out on that and will keep looking for a deal. Thanks!
Give Alan a call. My rubrails are pretty fancy. He has more affordable options that are probably not too big. Remember, I am rubrailing a 32 footer. I bought the ones on his homepage on the Lagoon.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

boguesounder,

Take a look at our rubrail options on our site: https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... +Extrusion
We show a couple of options by Tessilmare (Radial and Bino) both are really nice and easy to install! Tessilmare also has a lot of other rubrail options that are not shown on our site.
We also have the rigid track and flexible insert from Barbour Plastics, this would be a more economical option.
If you have any questions just call Jeff or I at the office. 772-742-8535
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Gents,
Thanks, I will check them out. Appreciate the info Reid!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I got a 50 foot kit from the guys here. It was just enough for a 21 foot boat. When you install it having another set of hands will make the job go ten times faster :wink:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Fuzz - thanks for the tip. I've wished I had four arms of my own several times during this project. I can see the rubrail install would definitely be easier with a friend. I'll call my fishing buddy to help when its time. Getting it off actually took a little bit of work. I started with a drill and snapped a few screw heads off. Switched to an impact driver and no more problems - but getting off the broke screws was harder than it should have been.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Built a box against the transom on the starboard for my rigging to emerge from. Hoping it will double as a "jump seat" of sorts as well. Purchased a rigging flange and hose to make things tidy when the time comes also.

My plan was to glue the top on permanently once I rigged the motor. I have since cut a 4" access hatch for future access needs. Really crossing my fingers that all the cables can make the tight radius I have created to get out of the box. If not, I have a plan b that would require some demo - so fingers crossed.

Not super exciting but...said box:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Been using these bakers icing bags for fillets and finding them really good for me. Tried caulk guns also but they were more cumbersome to load and my ratio of successful reuse wasn't always great.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I don't like pastry bagging because I like to fillet with fast epoxy; so I just trowel it in and tongue depressor it all.

just a fyi

It kicks in the bag too fast; like 15 minutes in a larger mass; say 6 oz epoxy n fillers..

I had to use empty caulk tubes a couple of times when gluing down soles, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Yeah, to hot where I live to use fast epoxy. Would kick way to fast for me to use.