Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

Now is the time to put in more tubes than you think you will need. You never know if plans will change.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

And gentle turns on the tubes! No sharp 90 degree elbows. Hope you get a lot done over the holidays!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Thanks you all for the advice and encouragement. I will proceed and try to anticipate my future needs - basically both aft corners and keel from bow to stern.

I bought the long sweep 90's for my turns. Those are about as gentle as I could get and still make the radius needed. If I was working with a generous bilge I would have used a series of 45's but the boat is small. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again! Will report back.

Bogue

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

I was able to work a little today on the chase tubes. I'll attach a few photos. Happy for any comments or thoughts.

Chase tubes:
I ran (2) 2" tubes from console to aft starboard. I plan to have a small box above deck that will receive the fuel and main engine rigging / steering. Not sure if the racor will fit in here or not. Also ran (1) 1 1/2" tube from bow to stern for misc things like bilge pump wiring, livewell pump wiring, bow nav lights, trolling motor wiring, maybe trim tab wiring down the road. I terminate this tube in the bow with a 90 into the anchor locker. I am wondering about how to keep water out of the stern end of the 1 1/2". Perhaps better just to leave open for drying?

All the pvc is just dry fit. I can still redo if something is way off. I did make one line a 45, while the other is a 90. Figured I'd run fuel through the 90, and the rest through the 45.

Livewell and Bilge Pump:
The Johnson SPXFlow livewell pump I bought is to tall to mount vertically with the Groco seacock and thru hull high speed pickup. If I can mount the pump horizontally it will work. Instructions don't show that as an option so I will contact the manufacturer for clarity. This is another option I've been considering for a transom mount high speek pickup https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-400 ... gI2UPD_BwE. Anyone used one?

The benefit of working very slowly on a project is the ability to look for things to add to the boat. I found this livewell last summer and am excited about it. Today is the first day I put it in the boat. Frankly, it may be to large for this skiff but I can control the level of fill. I figured on family days it would be good storage and I fish with live bait a fair amount. I planned on using it as a leaning post and livewell. Anyway, it is really nice - but maybe a hair to tall. Footprint is ok. The boat may ride better if it mounted in front of the console. I may install an access hatch up there in case I want to move it later.

Next Steps:
My Johnson 1000gph bilge pump and hoses arrive Friday. I plan to install them using 3m 4200 prior to gluing down the sole.
I have some misc epoxy work to do - around the massive holes I just drilled for the chase tubes, a few screw holes in stringers, etc
I'd love to get my deck cut out soon and dry fit.

Alright, a few photos. Boat is dirty...just squint your eyes a bit. Oh yeah, drilling big holes in your new stringers is no fun....

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

All my livewell stuff is flow-rite.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

FallGuy,
Thanks for the tip. I will check out Flow-rite. Your project is awe-inspiring. I was attracted to the Johnson because of the ability to easily change out just the pump cartridge if it failed and be able to keep an extra on hand if needed. The same cartridge fits both my bilge and livewell pump.

Got some more done today. Having a good week of boat progress.

Thanks for the input.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Flow rite doesn't make a pump; they will recommend/sell preferreds, so they are like a vendor review
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

It may just be me, but your 90's appear to be short, with a tight radius. Have you compared them to PVC electrical conduit?

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

TRC886 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:00 pm It may just be me, but your 90's appear to be short, with a tight radius. Have you compared them to PVC electrical conduit?
You can also use a heat gun to heat the pipe, then bend your own curves into it. A propane torch will work, too, but you have to be careful with it!

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

TRC - thanks for checking it out and for the input. I did compare against the electrical pvc when I was in the store. I ended up getting the longest and widest 90's available in a 2" white pvc. They are called "Long sweep". My stringers are only about 12" -14" or so o.c. I have some fuel line and wire that I will test pull to make sure it will work out before the sole goes down. Hoping some cable lube will do the trick if it is tight. If I can't get it to pull easily, I will redo using a series of 45s and 22s. Have you had trouble with 90's? I've never ran motor wiring and steering through a tube before so don't really know what to expect. I was encouraged by FallGuy's info regarding sim yamaha stating everything would fit in one 2" tube.

Good point on the heat gun / torch. I did use a torch on the long run to the bow to help the pipe match the curvature on the keel line up to a certain point then pointed up more. My pictures aren't great and probably don't show that. I did glass the tubes in over the weekend and sealed my cuts with thickened epoxy.

I think I am going to go with a transom thru hull for my livewell pickup instead of the clam shell thru hull. I fish mostly shallow water and was having a hard time thinking about that clam shell potentially sitting in mud at times. I am going to give the TH Marine transom mount high speed pickup a shot. It is basically a plastic box that force feeds water into the thru hull while underway. Looks flimsy online but haven't held one yet. Cheap part.

FallGuy,
I checked out the flowrite site you referred me to. They have some nice products and systems for livewells. I hadn't seen the remote controlled drain plug before. Fancy...