Replacing transom and floor on 1980 MaxiCraft

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Maxicraft
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Replacing transom and floor on 1980 MaxiCraft

Post by Maxicraft »

I'm having to rebuild/replace the rotted transom and floor on my 13.5' Maxicraft w/ a 5' beam width. This a small tiller powdered boat that has a long history of using the wrong material when they were built. There was reports of transom failures on boats < 1 yr old. Old news but some back ground. I did all the things I could think of to make this last long as possible when I got my boat. I made it 38 yrs which is pretty good. Now for the details and questions

The transom was constructed of 1" balsa (against the outer skin) and 3/4" particle board/plywood. I found 2 areas that were not sealed on the bottom to hull that allowed water to get to wood, when I cut it out. The sides were glassed to the foam on the side and not directly to the boat's hull. The plywood was not sealed to the hull/sides, till after the flotation foam was added to it. Looks like they took every possible way to make it as cheap as they could. My question is using 2 pieces of 3/4" marine fur plywood be any problem? Or should I go back with the balsa? I'm concern about the weight for this boat only weighted 300 lbs empty. It's powdered by a 25 hp outboard motor. I need to raise the transom height 1-2" for a better running height. The back of the transom was dished lower than the sides were, which allowed for water to come in occasionally. It had a trough that was carpeted which held water, no drains. I added drains early on and sealed them the best I could. I did not find any water damage around these drains.

50% of all the wood floor was gone, glass setting on the foam. The floors were 1/2" particle board glassed to the insides of the boat with no glass on the bottom side of the wood. The floor was then injected with flotation foam to support the floor. There were some areas where the foam did not fill. No stringers were found. There was actual plywood on the front part of the deck that slopped. It was rotted around where the live well is. I've completely removed all flooring/decking and foam. In the center of the boat was the only sound wood. So I will be putting back 1/2 fur plywood fully encapsulated in glass or epoxy, prior to foam filling. I think the hard part is going to be getting a good foam fill for support.

I'm unable to remove the live well. I think it's glassed to the hull if not part of the hull. Can only get to 3 sides of it. The side next to the outside wall is a small gap but looks to be solid to the hull.

So from the info I have given you how would you do the transom? 2 sheets 3/4" plywood, or as original 1" balsa and 3/4" plywood?

For the floor would 3/8" plywood provide enough support or stay with 1/2"?

Open for all suggestion. This is going to be a first for me. I'm at the point where I ready to order in supplies.

Right now all I have is the gutted hull that I'm still removing bits and pieces, getting it ready to go back together. I have pictures of what I found documenting all the damage.

Thanks in advanced.
David

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Replacing transom and floor on 1980 MaxiCraft

Post by Jeff »

Maxicraft, welcome to our Builders Forum!! You will get good support & guidance from the membership!! Please post photos as much as possible as this will assist the other builders in giving you a more thorough response or guidance!! Again, welcome, Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Hey welcome to the fun. Like Jeff said pictures are the key to getting help. Before making any suggestions I am sure the guys would like to see what you have. I think you said there were no stringers in this boat :doh: If so that is going to make things a little different :wink:

Maxicraft
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Maxicraft »

Going to see if I can post a before photos before I stripped it down. These are many years old but the shop does not have great lighting either.

Don't see how to access my uploaded photos form reply menu.

There has to be a easier way than jumping back to my profile area in a different window.

I will try again tomorrow during my off peak minutes.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Looks like a great little boat. Welcome to the forum. You have came to the right forum. If you are having problems posting pictures you can post you are doing and get help with that. Picture speak better than words sometimes when making repairs. Once you post pictures the rebuild guys will start letting you know the next steps to take. Good luck on your rebuild!
OQ
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The boat looks like a Boston Whaler clone. Is it filled with foam like a whaler?
For posting pictures it works best if you can upload them to your gallery here and then link them in your post. I have found that pictures with too MP will not load or have problems loading. I think the site says 8-9MP but I have much better luck if they are under 5 MP.

Maxicraft
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Maxicraft »

Here is the rot on the ransom after opening it up. After cleaning it all out I found 2 areas that were not sealed allowing water access. As you can tell the water had migrated almost to where the motor was mounted.

Here is the floor rot at the back of the boat. The rot was down both sides of the boat with the worst being at the back and left side. The live well was not sealed at the top and any time you took off it dumped water. I sealed it after the first time out. But the wood rotted all the way around it. It appears the live well is fused to the bottom of the boat.

Transom corner joint showing construction. 1" balsa, and 3/4" plywood

Wood material removed. Noting that the transom was not directly tied to the sides of the boat. Will probably open this up so I can tie it properly.

Boat gutted showing no stringers. May have to add some if needed. It appears the foam used on the floor was different than the transom and sides.

This as been a great little fishing boat. I was told that it was built similar to Boston Whaler the reason I bought it. Being short and wide makes it a very stable boat in the water.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Maxicraft, I continue to be surprised at how cheaply or poorly some manufacturers are in the build process of boats!!! Glad to see that you are going to put her back MUCH better than new condition!! Jeff

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Need to get you one of these tools. They are on sale at Harbor Freight for $5.00 single speed. Then buy all kinds if attachments for it. You will be thankful you did.

I bought the variable speed and then paid $5.00 to get the single speed so I could use two different attachments without having to stop to change them out. It is one of them kind of tools that after using you wonder why you didn't get it sooner.

I am in no way any kind of expert on rebuilding boats but I bet the guys will want to remove that live well since you said it had rot.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That hull looks like it was built in the Whaler style. Meaning two thin skins with foam injected between them to stiffen the whole thing up. If this is correct what do you have for a rebuild plan?