Dust collection and sanding

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Dust collection and sanding

Post by topwater »

Dust Deputy with a Hepa filter and a vac bag in the shop vac. What the Dust Deputy misses the bag gets.
Sandpaper i buy on line at Supergrit.com , i buy only Silicon carbide paper because it will last longer.
Novi 23 finally launched !

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

Thanks for the heads up on the dust deputy! Never heard of it before but when I went and looked at it I have to admit I started laughing.
When sampling for dust for industrial hygiene purposes we use a cyclone dust collector hooked to a personal air sampling pump.
This is just a much larger version!
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

so ... the cheap skate in me stuck one of the 5gal bucket traps on a 55gal drum... worked perfectly. Until the dumba$$ in me forgot to empty the drum before it filled up.

The separators are the bomb but you have to remember to empty them regularly. :)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

When I worked in a bindery of a printing company we had a cyclone separator that looked something like this. The paper scrap was collected in the bottom and it connected to a compactor that turned the paper into bales. The exhaust dust tubes were terminated into 55 gallon drums. The guy they had taking care of it didn't know how to use it so it was always plugging up. In a single 12 hour shift we could produce 8-2000 pound bales. That would be two folders and my saddle stitcher going at the same time. My machine was 8 pockets and a cover feeder with a stacker that could run 6000 books an hour. It produced so much scrap that it had a 10" suction pipe at the trimmer.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TRC886
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TRC886 »

If you're located where you can release the dust, an old A/C blower with 12" flex duct works wonders. Note how I was using a 7" grinder at about 5K RPM with no shirt. IIRC: the disc was about 36 grit. I can't load pics with this phone :doh: :doh: :doh: so you'll have to scroll about 1/3 way down the page.
https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 20#p240704

When using a shop vac, I highly recommend using a bag inside it!!! The bag acts like a giant pre-filter, catching over 99% of the dust. Only the finest particles get through it to clog the main filters. The vac keeps going and going and going...ok :roll: ...sucking and sucking and sucking :lol:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

I also found the Dust Deputy to be very helpful addition to my shop vac when sanding / grinding.

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 »

For shop vac brands, I really like the Fein models. They have some nice features I really appreciate. One of the best is an outlet on the shop vac that you can plug your tool (sander) into, and a switch on the vac that will automatically turn on/off the the vac when you turn the tool (sander) on/off. Helps reduce noise and eliminates all the times that you forget to turn on the vac when you are sanding and end up not collecting any dust! Just my $0.02.

Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

topwater

Post by topwater »

They sell switches that plug into an outlet and you plug both the sander and the vac into it, when you hit
the trigger on the sander the vac starts with it. I think i got mine from rockler wood working.
Novi 23 finally launched !

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 »

topwater wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:04 am They sell switches that plug into an outlet and you plug both the sander and the vac into it, when you hit
the trigger on the sander the vac starts with it. I think i got mine from rockler wood working.
This is true. The benefit to having that switch on the vac is you don’t need two long electrical cords to move around your work area. You only need one longer cord for the vac, and then the vac travels with you near the sander as you work. If you need to detach the hose to get a particular area, you can, and then plug it back into the sander and keep working.

Either method is fine. But I think having the switch on the vac provides you more flexibility / utility.

At least, it does for me.

Best,
Gib
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I second the approval of Fein vacs, they're the less expensive option among the top tool vacs- Mirka and Festool make good ones, too. It's quiet, powerful and works great.
The Abranet sandpaper that Mirka makes for their sanders (since it has no pre-punched holes it also fits other brands of sanders) is a mesh that dust is pulled through, that catches more dust and makes the grit last longer.
Hank