Another Privateer Roamer Skiff

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another Privateer Roamer Skiff

Post by Slickcav »

thanks jeff appreciate it!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Glad to have you back! Sounds like you have been plenty busy with lots of things other than boat building.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Slick,
Wow man, your posts made me tired just reading it. Lot of big family moves there. Know you will get it all settled nicely over time. Congrats on the new farm!

Look forward to seeing future posts on the boat. There was a renegade in the keys recently, banged up and priced accordingly that I wise I had bought and hauled up for my next project. I too, have been relegated to house projects as of late. Take care.

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

Well a few updates to add the last two days I've been knocking some work out here.

Templated the floor, copied to sign board, triple checked fit, then worked on laying my center boards down and lined up got that all straightened out.

My one problem area getting the correct shape and templating is forward of the most forward bulkhead where the old "casting deck" or "step up" used to be that I deleted.

My plan is to glue "cleats" to port and starboard where this piece will rest, and obviously it will join the forward bulkhead as well. When I templated by taking a straight edge and "extending the stringers" and taking a marker and marking these spots, the shape was off when added 3/4" core because the hull changes so quickly here and I believe from the 3/4" difference. So then I laid a 3/4" core piece and did same as previously mentioned and "remarked" these areas, cut another template to test fit and it still didnt seem right.

I ordered a laser level type deal and hope that I can use that to get a more accurate marks and hopefully try to get this shape right, I struggled with it on my last build as well mainly because there wasnt an existing floor lip to cheat off of haha. Thats why I'm a nurse and not a carpenter I guess.

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

Well a few updates to add the last two days I've been knocking some work out here.

Templated the floor, copied to sign board, triple checked fit, then worked on laying my center boards down and lined up got that all straightened out.

My one problem area getting the correct shape and templating is forward of the most forward bulkhead where the old "casting deck" or "step up" used to be that I deleted.

My plan is to glue "cleats" to port and starboard where this piece will rest, and obviously it will join the forward bulkhead as well. When I templated by taking a straight edge and "extending the stringers" and taking a marker and marking these spots, the shape was off when added 3/4" core because the hull changes so quickly here and I believe from the 3/4" difference. So then I laid a 3/4" core piece and did same as previously mentioned and "remarked" these areas, cut another template to test fit and it still didnt seem right.

I ordered a laser level type deal and hope that I can use that to get a more accurate marks and hopefully try to get this shape right, I struggled with it on my last build as well mainly because there wasnt an existing floor lip to cheat off of haha. Thats why I'm a nurse and not a carpenter I guess.

Area I am struggling with-

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

will cut the remaining pieces Monday and hope to get everything test fitted up nice

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Slickcav wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:43 am I know its been a while, sold our house, bought a small farm (house-less), building a barn, building a house, need a dock, had another baby, moved in with my parents temporarily etc. Time/focus/motivation on the teer has been few and far between.

As far as updates go:

Tank is installed, new fuel line/chase box fabbed up and glassed into the hullsides, all fuel lines ran, fuel filter mounted (below decks/hidden). Cap was re-cored and re-installed which was a bitch to get to fit back on my lord, ended up having to cut off the bow repair area that we had pulled a shape for off the bow to repair the bow cap region it which did not fit when it came time to reinstall, so cut that off, fixed it, Ground down the gel coat off the cap, going to flat board/sand the cap and lay a layer of 1208 overtop here shortly. Floor is templated with Luan strips currently and I picked up some corrugated sign board sheets yesterday from HD to trace the template on and test fit, cut my hatches out etc before transferring those onto the 3/4" Merranti.

Hope to get the floor in soon and keep things moving along.
Where in Maryland are you building? On the bay?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:34 pm
Slickcav wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:43 am I know its been a while, sold our house, bought a small farm (house-less), building a barn, building a house, need a dock, had another baby, moved in with my parents temporarily etc. Time/focus/motivation on the teer has been few and far between.

As far as updates go:

Tank is installed, new fuel line/chase box fabbed up and glassed into the hullsides, all fuel lines ran, fuel filter mounted (below decks/hidden). Cap was re-cored and re-installed which was a bitch to get to fit back on my lord, ended up having to cut off the bow repair area that we had pulled a shape for off the bow to repair the bow cap region it which did not fit when it came time to reinstall, so cut that off, fixed it, Ground down the gel coat off the cap, going to flat board/sand the cap and lay a layer of 1208 overtop here shortly. Floor is templated with Luan strips currently and I picked up some corrugated sign board sheets yesterday from HD to trace the template on and test fit, cut my hatches out etc before transferring those onto the 3/4" Merranti.

Hope to get the floor in soon and keep things moving along.
Where in Maryland are you building? On the bay?
Yessir on the Sassafras River.

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

after some further reading on fitting these intricate shapes I have decided to utilizing the "ticking stick" method seen here:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wood ... ng-sticks/

Will get to pulling the shape monday and see how it goes!
​​​​​​​

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Slickcav wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:02 pm after some further reading on fitting these intricate shapes I have decided to utilizing the "ticking stick" method seen here:

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/wood ... ng-sticks/

Will get to pulling the shape monday and see how it goes!
​​​​​​​
I use the "Texas Hold 'em" technique which has worked well for me.
Attachments
20190218_174913.jpg
20201205_090035.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie