Another Privateer Roamer Skiff

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another Privateer Roamer Skiff

Post by Slickcav »

Final mock up today with the floor before I am ready to coat and glass.

finished product vision paint scheme-

White VC performance epoxy bottom to waterline

Grand Banks Beige on the inside

Dull Dead Grass on the outside

My goal with this build is not only to do a really good job covering my storage desires, super clean rigging, etc, but I want to be able to use this boat for everything I use a boat for, not just to look pretty on a trailer and maybe go cruising and sandbar hopping. I want to be able to get to my offshore blind and diver duck hunt if I need to , I want to crab from it, fish, cruise etc. So call it a classy finish fish/crab/duck/cruise with a unique yet classy paint combo that doesn't look like someone grabbed a 3/8" nap roller from lowes and some Parker green paint and hillbilly'd it up.

Harrison boat works built this 19 from scratch for a gentleman who duck hunts the sound and runs parties. I have literally had these pictures saved on my phone since the build finished probably 3-4 years ago and said, I love that boat color, and im going to build one like that one day.

my dads trying to talk me out of it and paint it all pretty and shiny, but if that happens I won't use the boat as much.

So here we are, I am not sure if I will paint this one myself or not, I was pretty frustrated with my sea ox paint job but given the flat finish on the exterior hullsides I am sure it is more forgiving then painting gloss. I swore I wouldn't paint another boat but I also don't like an aspect of the build defeating me, sure I can stroke a check and have it done and I can afford to do so, but if thats the case why go through the 2 year process of doing everything myself up until that point?

I still have a lot of work to do before I am ready for paint, the gelcoat is cracked and crazed pretty bad like the boston whalers do but in my case its from the waterline down. The old waterman who ran the boat prior to my purchase didn't care much for keeping up with much, including bottom paint etc.

From what I had read about fixing these crazing issues, one of the whaler guys who refinished one on THT flipped the hull, sanded with 80 gr, and then epoxy resin brushed the areas, allowing the epoxy to "seep into" the cracks in the gel. Many have said just sanding and then spraying with 2000E or some sort of barrier primer coat will still result in cracking. He then sprayed it with Interlux Interprotect 2000E and then moved along to finish paints etc.

Anywho, lots to read there sorry if I rambled. Heres some finished product pics I am shooting for

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Enjoyed that read. Love that color combo. The top cap against the dull dead grass hull will really pop the sheerline. Black rub rail I assume then? You should paint the dock box also while you, or someone hired out, paint it. Mobox says they will custom it, but bet it is pricey.

"I swore I wouldn't paint another boat but I also don't like an aspect of the build defeating me, sure I can stroke a check and have it done and I can afford to do so, but if thats the case why go through the 2 year process of doing everything myself up until that point?" - I know this feeling for sure, and we all take pride in our own workmanship. That said, think I might hire out removing the bottom paint off my next one if I have to!

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

I appreciate it, yeah I think itll look sharp, different. Yes to black rub rail, was considering either having the guy paint the dock box vs just hitting it when the boat gets painted well see.

The bottoms getting blasted next week, had my share of bottom paint dust on my face and plenty from grinding on the teer, so I am going to pass on that, dads 20' chincoteague scow and my 20 roamer skiff will be on stands side by side and my buddy who runs a mobile blasting company is going to knock them both out.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I like the vision and am looking forward to seeing the finished product. Will probably steal a few ideas along the way. I have a similar vision although mine is going to be a little more on the “hillbilly’d up” duck boat side.