Another Privateer Roamer Skiff

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Another Privateer Roamer Skiff

Post by Slickcav »

I just worry 4 vs 6" offset and stress on transom etc or if it affects the ride at all. Ideally I would like the self contained unit for sure. Like I mentioned the property we bought is on a decent sized creek off the chesapeake bay, but at low tide she gets a hair skinny and instead of trimming up it would be nice to jackplate up!

got all the floor pieces in and test fitted, going to cut my hatches today and try to get things all set up, have a few more under deck things to tidy up before the deck goes down permanently but certainly getting one major step closer.

bottom gets blasted next week in preparation for vc performance epoxy coating.

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Looking good. Are you planning on spraying or rolling on the VC Performance epoxy? Also they offer a 4 inch set back as well that I believe is the same price or maybe a little cheaper than the bobs. I went with the 6 inch because lucky for me it was a hand me down from when my uncle upgraded to the newer model.

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

from what I gather the 4" setback doesn't have an all in one system and needs a remote hydraulic tank, but the 6" has self contained unit.

Got all the hatches cut and fitted today, mocked up the layout, console is going to loose 5" in height or so and get a custom helm pod with a single lever control.

Got a few things to do under the decks but I am close to glassing this floor down. Will router the flange region to sit flush with the floor tonight.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Slick,
Looks great man. Guy did a nice job on the cap for you. Deck looks nice roughed in. Love the hatches you got (Daytrip, right?). You always do good work.

I made a small box in the back of my Retriever and ran all cables through that. Not an original idea for sure. Put everything in the rigging sleeve, except for the hydraulic steering lines. Pretty clean and simple. I was worried about the radius required for pulling the cables but it all worked out alright.

Look forward to seeing your paint going on. How much did they get to blast the bottom?

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

Thanks bouge-

The cap turned out just OK. Cost me 900, saved me a bunch of time, and I was trying to help out my covid laid off neighbor who runs a big local boat yard that does a ton of glass work and claims to be quite experienced in the glass department.

I had showed him a few cap recore pictures from builds that showed multiple small sections of core laid in rather than the longest runs possible due to air voids etc. Long story short get the cap back on and mounted and as im walking down the sides or standing up at the bow I hear plenty of "crunching". This was because he used the longest runs of core he could and did not get a tight bond to the fiberglass skin in spots due to the transitions in the shape of the cap etc which was what I had warned him about.

Long story short I drilled a ton of holes in all of these spots and injected epoxy to fill the voids, not much else you can do. Then I went ahead and ground down all of the gel off the cap and I am going to try my best to sand it smooth before laying a nice layer of 1208 hopefully to get a nice clean slate.

I am hopeful I can tuck all of my lines into the 3" rigging tube, running a 1.25" to the bow for trolling motor/anchor lights/speakers etc. In the 3" will be main engine wiring harness, shifter cables, fuel line will enter at the tail end, hydraulic steering, jack plate, transducer. Maybe tight, we will see, please advise because its now or never before this deck gets glassed in hah!

The hatches were from daytrip01, on here and THT. With my last 20' roamer skiff build I hated that I didn't have room to put anything and there was a cluttered deck if I went fishing, between coolers tackle boxes no where to store life jackets and dry goods except my little coffin box etc. With this build I wanted to take advantage of as much space that a 20'er has under decks to offer and keep a clean uncluttered deck with tons of fishing room, hence the 24x24 console again.

The past week I have been wracking my brain as to what I am going to do to add some creature comforts for the wife and or kids to sit on etc for when we are out sandbar hopping or cruising. I really wanted a small coffin box but the guy who has the mold for them isn't making them anymore

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... boats.html

What I wanted was something to sit on top of the forward insulated fish box hatch, that backed up to the console where I could mount a back rest cushion on the console, that was also removable, but also allowed me access to the fish box, imagine blue collar version of a YF or SeaVee with their forward hatches that have coffin boxes mounted to them with a nice gas shock to aid in opening etc.

After striking out on coffin box and cooler type deals due to size, expense, or no desire to have a yeti cooler mounted on the deck, I started eye balling different dock boxes and came across Mobox Marine. Super sturdy quality product with dimensions that fit perfect for my needs and can double as extra dry storage (wifes purse, beach bags, etc) as well as comfortable seating.

https://moboxmarine.com/collections/sli ... e-dock-box

Probably going to pull the trigger on the 3'er, it is 36x18x18 and will fit perfect on top of my 42x20 hatch. I worry 18" isn't tall enough for seating but after measuring a few coolers I have laying around seems like it should fit the needs.

My vision but dumbed down to blue collar:

either something like this off the console a few inches

or more against the console like this:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Looks good man. I think the dock box will be nice. The storage will certainly be handy. Will you just put down some flush anchors to strap it down when in use? I considered a dock box as well but I'm even more blue collar than you! ha. :D

I ran all my rigging (harness, gear cables, transducer, hydraulic lines) in one 3" sch 40 pvc with wide sweep 90's with relative ease. Used some cable lube. Pulled my fuel line through another tube but it meets up in the aft box to the motor with all the other cables.

Are you kicking yourself for selling your original rebuild and getting the sea ox, or has it all been fun?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Running fuel lines with electric is a no-no. I would run at least three tubes. One for electric, one for fuel and one for anything else. Might be able to get by with just two but the fuel needs to be by itself.

Slickcav
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Slickcav »

My first build I enjoyed but wanted newer power and it wouldn’t have made sense at the time. I also had the build bug if you will and took joy in seeing something so dated come to modern life. When I sold that teer I had the only roamer skiff for sale in the country between Fb/CL/BT. Guy drove 7 hours to come get it it was crazy!

The sea ox was a great boat, incredible ride, cosmetic refit only, solid bones, great power. Was cool bringing that one back to life, I wasn’t thrilled with the paint job I did was disappointing but it looked good from 10’ away. The boat was a hair too heavy and draft too much water for my uses at my favorite launches locally and I had a super sweet spot for privateers by this time and now want to rescue and rebuild everyone I see haha.

Dockbox - yeah I like the flush anchors I’ve seen as far as securing the dock box. I’m hoping I can put a nice cushion on it and back rest support somehow and have it turn out nice.

Curious if I should have the leaning post cushion and dock box cushions match the exterior hull color. Also curious if the polished aluminum leaning post needs to be powder coated to match the interior colors or how carried away I’m going to go there with things flowing and not clashing colors wise.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Seem to be quite a few privateers up that way. What paints / colors are you going to use? Still have access to your buddies spray booth after your recent move?