1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I ended up with 4 coats and I am happy with how it turned out. Happy enough that I am not going to bother sanding it.

It really shows all the imperfections in the bottom and that I did not have the boat as fair as I thought. I have the boat back on the trailer now and back in the shop. Unfortunately I suffered some damage to the front cap while the boat was flipped over. I think the floor jack slid off the wood at some point and cracked it so I will have to look at that a little more and see the best way to fix it. Really unfortunate because I wasnt planning on spending much time on it. I was just going to paint right over it with the same grey paint I am using for the hull. Also the lip on the bottom of my console is cracked. I think I am just going to cut the lip off and glue and glass the console to the floor with 2 layers of staggered 6 inch 12 oz tape. Unless there are any better ideas. There should hopefully never be a reason to have to remove the console again

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Also with the tunnel and engine on the 6 inch jack plate where should the cavitation plate be? I was thinking of starting with the cavitation plate even with the top of the tunnel, like it was before, and starting there. From there I can run the jack plate up and see if I need to move the engine up higher.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I profess little expertise on tunnels, but the likelihood of getting the cav plate higher than the top of the tunnel seems low to me.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If the tunnel is working correctly you should have a solid stream of water coming out of it. If that is the case you might be surprised and able to go higher but you will need to test to know for sure.
The glass damage should not be to hard to fix after all the other work you have already done. Taping the console down would work for me. If you ever need to get under it cutting and sanding a little bit of glass is going to be a very minor part of what needs to be done.
The graphite is pretty unforgiving in the looks department. You would have to have one smooth surface to not see any minor flaws. Yours looks like it will work just fine. Pretty sure the fish will not be put off :lol:

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I have been making pretty good progress. I will try to get some pictures up soon but I feel like I have been doing nothing but working and working on the boat. I was going to hang the motor tonight and hopefully have it in the water over the weekend but I am having trouble finding 316 bolts the right length for my transom to jack plate bolts. I should have planned that better but I was planning on Fastenal having them. One more bump in the road. If I can’t find any locally tomorrow I will just have to wait and order some

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If that was all that was stopping me from a splash I would use any old bolt till I got the right ones. They are not going to rust away in a few weeks :D

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

The boat has been finished since the end of July. Overall I am happy with everything. The boat ended up being a lot heavier with all the material and foam I added back and definitely more solid. I lost a little speed but compared to the increased ride quality that is no big deal. It has already been put through the paces and I have been caught in some nasty weather and waves and it has handled everything the best I could expect from a 19 foot boat. The tunnel, jack plate and trim tabs are a badass combo and I can run super shallow. I set the cavitation plate even with the top of the tunnel and I am able to run the jack plate all the way up while on plane. I had the boat in Ocracoke NC for a week after finishing and it worked amazing running the sand bars and shoals around there and Portsmouth Island. It really made all the difference getting around over there and definitely put some extra fish in the boat. It does draft more than before sitting still with the engine sitting on the jack plate. The lost displacement from the tunnel doesn't help that but is another thing I can accept for the tradeoff of how shallow it can run on plane. The only thing I am not happy with is my floor height. I should have gone up another 1/2 inch to an inch. I raised the floor 2 inches from its previous location to fit the fuel tank and thought that would be a plenty for it to self bail. Looking back I wish I would have hung the motor before the floor and test floated it. That way I could have raised the stringers accordingly. I am still trying to decide the best way to solve that issue. I have them plugged at the moment but would prefer to be able to leave them open to self bail. Here's some photos of the end of the build and her in the water. Big thanks to yall for all the help along the way. No telling what I would have ended up with trying to tackle this on my own. I have learned a lot and added another expensive hobby to the list lol Looking forward to starting on build number 2.

The way I finished this box into a mini splashwell really helps keep the water out while reversing with the jackplate.

Coming back in from the first splash

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thank you for coming back and giving us an on the water report. It is always good to hear a boat turned out like the builder hoped it would.

cape man

Post by cape man »

My boat will not self bail with me or a lot of gear in it, or when the bait well is full. I just plug the scuppers and pull them when running to get the water out. When fishing, especially when throwing the cast net, water always finds a way in the boat! It still irks me a bit, as like you I thought about raising the stringers while building. However. I've learned to deal with it. Empty, on anchor or docked, she self bails the rain out. The fix is to pull the floor and interior, including the casting deck, and raise the stringers and bulkheads. NOT HAPPENING!! Next boat...

Your boat looks amazing, and sounds like its doing exactly what you need except for the self bailing at rest. The smiles in the picture says it all. I watched this rebuild from the start and you didn't skip anything. Congratulations!

Now show some more adventure pictures!
Last edited by cape man on Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Double post :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman