1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

Thanks Fallguy but I am not sure I have a good answer for this hull. On both mine and Capemans dories we used 3/4 inch rails and they did the job. I think I would do as said and cut the coosia 45 degrees make it two layers. I am thinking they could start 3-4 foot from the bow and end a foot before the transom but all of this is just a guess on my part. Anyone who has an idea please chime in.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

6FC61330-9ECA-4E43-8A17-C75217062FF8.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I will try to get a better picture of the front of the hull when I can get it out of the garage. I still have a little while before it will be time for the spray rails I just like to have things planned out ahead of time. The front of the boat does not have a sharp v and is more rounded. When the chine starts there is not much there to prevent spray. When my trim tabs are down and I am in rough water the spray runs all the way up to cap at the front and will soak you. I was hoping if I put spray rails up front there where there isn’t a chine it would stop the water before it could spray out to soak me. Also in tall waves would they have any effect keeping the bow up higher instead of “plowing” off one wave into another? The sound I run is relatively shallow but very open so when it gets rough the waves are stacked right on top of each other

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

My personal discovery is bow flare and the angles of the sides have more to do with drying out the ride.

I'd stay away from messing with the rails forward much. The last thing you want is adverse effect with a rail too low.

My alumunum boat makes a spray in in one footers. You can probably make some safe assumptions about where to start them. A picture of the side of the hull and I'd be willing to finger paint my take.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

It will not take a lot of rail to keep water from running up the hull. Unless they are huge they will not help with stuffing the bow. You just do not have enough area to produce much lift. I would keep them at least a foot short of the bow stem. I am not sure where to mount them on the sides height wise.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mr Pamlico wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:42 pm As far as the tunnel goes I am going to leave it alone and run it. The boat ran fine to me especially after the trim tabs were installed. I have always wanted a tunnel boat for certain places I hunt and fish. This is a picture of how the boat ran motor trimmed all the way down, two people and 15 gallons of gas under the lean post. Probably 3/4 throttle

Not being able to get the front of the boat down really beat you in a chop. The trim tabs I salvaged off my uncles old boat really ended up being the perfect size and fixed all running issues.
If this is the boat, I'd run the splash rail right above the chine. You can run it all the way. My Lund skiff has it all the way, but I don't think the first couple feet do much.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

5609DA0F-0E03-437F-9058-60A7C7C9F516.png

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

No big updates just lots of busy work. I have the channel made for the fuel fill, have everything sanded and have started pouring flotation foam. Next is to get the tank bolted to the stringers and mount my rigging tubes. One for the engine, one for the live well and one for the fuel line. I was planning on using 316 stainless bolts for the tank but what type of bolts are suggested for mounting the jack plate and engine? I might as well pick those bolts up while I’m getting the ones for the tank. I did a few searches but couldn’t find any definite answers.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Mr Pamlico wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:43 pm No big updates just lots of busy work. I have the channel made for the fuel fill, have everything sanded and have started pouring flotation foam. Next is to get the tank bolted to the stringers and mount my rigging tubes. One for the engine, one for the live well and one for the fuel line. I was planning on using 316 stainless bolts for the tank but what type of bolts are suggested for mounting the jack plate and engine? I might as well pick those bolts up while I’m getting the ones for the tank. I did a few searches but couldn’t find any definite answers.

Fine threads are often used for motor mountings because a fine thread has a larger minor diameter and offers more tensile. But I used coarse..just to make myself nervous..

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Gotcha. I have been trying to find a reasonably priced transom drilling jig to make sure I drill the holes exactly 90 degrees to the transom but I’m having trouble finding one. I’m pretty confident I could mark them and drill them pretty dang close. But being that I already have another boat to start on after this one and I’m sure these won’t be my last I’m sure the jig would get a few uses.