1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Mr Pamlico »

There will be two battery’s mounted to the floor in the console. The console is rather big and is part of what is taking up a good bit of space and having to make me try and make the best of the rest of the floor space. But it has a live well, tackle center, rod holders and a good amount of storage. That is another reason I positioned the fuel tank where it is and was able to go a little bigger. I had originally thought about having the fuel tank access in the console and having the fuel fill run up to the side of the console but did not want those two in the same area.

The 2x could possibly work. And I even thought about building those braces and then just boxing them in or building the box off of them to the hull sides but I still don’t think that would leave enough room for someone to sit behind the lean post to hunt. Even with just the knees being there they will somewhat be sitting between them. Being able to have two people sit in front of the console and one person behind the lean post and hunt 3 people and a dog out of the boat blind, also fitting all the gear,and sometimes a layout boat is big. That’s also why I had the console and lean post as far back as I did to leave as much room as possible up front. A smaller console could also give me that room needed but I love the one that I had in there lol it also holds some sentimental value. I’m going to try and get the console, lean post and tank set in the boat to give me a visual of how much room I actually have this weekend and be able to put my eyes on it

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Gonna stay with my advice to splash and batteries under with seats on the edges. You need 16" for the seats. Not sure on the motor, but maybe 20" for and 24-30" wide. If you have all that rigging; it is gonna be there anyway. Steering hoses n all from the sides seems difficult.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

How many layers of glass on top and sides?

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 pm How many layers of glass on top and sides?
There is 10 layers of 1700 on the outside, a 1.5 inch piece of coosa and then 5 layers of 1700 on the inside. I ran those 5 layers staggered up the hull sides and out onto the bottom. I have not wrapped the top yet. I still need to figure out how many layers to wrap over the top. The stringers are tabbed to the transom with 4 layers of 1700

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

How many layers of glass on top and sides? fyi Jaysen...the buffer held this?

Well, the force on the transom creates tension on the forward side, so more layers on the inside would be better vs the 10.

I would have wrapped the top with the sides pieces.

I can't tell you if the transom is strong enough. The fact it is stronger on the back bothers me. I would say 5 layers of db1700 is a bit light for the plan. How light? Not sure.

The overwrap of the top is going to mess things up a bit, but you can cut tabs if the 115 even has them.
Last edited by fallguy1000 on Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Here's a pic from my OD18 of the 2X idea that Fuzz is suggesting. The top piece runs the whole length and the bottom is for the lower bolts for the motor. They are sealed in epoxy and covered with 12 ounce biax, taped on the edges to the transom.
slippage!.jpeg
slippage!.jpeg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 1164 times
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cape man wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 am Here's a pic from my OD18 of the 2X idea that Fuzz is suggesting. The top piece runs the whole length and the bottom is for the lower bolts for the motor. They are sealed in epoxy and covered with 12 ounce biax, taped on the edges to the transom.

slippage!.jpeg
Ahh. I was wondering what he meant. Figured I was dumb. I saw the 4" wide cardboard and had all sorts of wrongheaded ideas.

I'd say if you want to go not motorwell, a 3" transom is a good plan.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Ok that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking of something different as well. I still have some leftover 1.5 inch coosa from the transom. Could I put some glass on either side of that, glue it to the transom and tab it in and it be just as strong as the 2xs? I’ll have to template it and see but I might could make that same design from capemans picture all one piece from my leftover sheet.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I have enough 1.5 inch coosa left I could just run one rectangular piece across the transom. I could then glass that to the transom and tab it in to the hull sides. Something like this

Or something like this

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

How many layers of glass on top and sides

Buffer notice above.

The coosa has almost no strength without glass. It adds little.