1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I have read through many rebuilds on this site, mostly privateer and Sea Ox builds, and I have recently started on my first. I have no previous experience with fiberglass or boat construction. I have the boat flipped over and had to work my way through layers and layers of bottom paint. I was using an angle grinder with a sanding wheel and I was too aggressive on the first side I started on. I realized this after the dust cleared. I purchased a dual action sander and had much better luck getting down to the barrier coat on the other side. My question is how can I fix the deep spots I have caused? Do I need to sand all the way down to the fiberglass and get it level that way or is there a way to fill these spots and level them out? There is filler on the back of the boat where the tunnel was put in but I want to make sure when I’m done that it is done right. This hull is going to see a lot of abuse from fishing and especially duck hunting.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

First welcome to our little group :wink:
I don't think you have hurt anything with the grinder. You do not need to take all the gelcoat off but you want it well sanded. What I write is based on the use of epoxy. Go over the whole bottom with some 40-60 grit until it is clean and sort of smooth. You can then mix up some epoxy with fillers and put it on with a trowel so its mostly smooth. Then sand and longboard for a fairing.
Post pictures as you go and ask questions. Lots of folks here will help and give good advice.
Fuzz

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Thanks for the welcome. The boat has no gel coat. It was just barrier coat and paint. So in some places where I went through the barrier coat I am at the fiberglass. And the rear of the boat had no barrier coat where the tunnel was put in by a previous owner. I’ll try and get some pics up when I get off work this afternoon. I was having trouble getting the pictures to show up in the thread last night

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mr Pamlico, welcome to our builders forum!! You will receive excellent support and guidance from our members!! We look forward to watching your rebuild!!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I went to your gallery and left clicked on the picture-copy image location- back to my post-paste
You need to click on the mountain looking icon and click in the middle of the quotes in your post.
Have you run this hull? I ask because I wonder if the PO built the tunnel correctly?

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

Thanks for that explanation Fuzz. As you can see I learned from my mistakes after that first side. I ran the boat for a little over a year. It ran bow up very bad with the raised transom and the fuel tank under the lean post. The boat was redone in 2005 but I do question their craftmanship. The second time I ran the boat and got into some rough water the console broke loose, it was not screwed down just glued, and threw me and it down inside the boat. I then put in a console from one of my great uncles old boat builds and hydraulic steering. A few weeks after that running back across the pamlico river the left side of the floor broke loose. I installed trim tabs from the same donor boat I got the console from and it ran 100 times better after that. I also have a jackplate to go on the boat once its time to hang the motor.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I also have this spot and one more where I went throught the barrier coat that have brown water coming out. What is the best solution for this? Also what filler is recommended to add to the epoxy for this type of filling and is there a specific ratio to mix?

I am guessing I would grind this spot down until I find no water I am just worried about how deep this spot could be and what this could lead too

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Couple of things. First I am not a Naval Architect nor did I stay in a holiday Inn last night :roll:
To me it looks like that tunnel would cause problems. One the water will not flow smoothly through it and two a loss of lift area. I have no idea if you need a tunnel for where you run the boat and that makes it worth while or not but I do think it is the cause of the bow running high.
As for the water in the glass is it water or is it from a blister? I ask because if the hull was blistering that would explain the barrier coat. Not much other reason to remove the gelcoat and replace with a barrier coat. When you were sanding down the bottom did it have what looked like bubbles on it?
Fuzz