1992 SeaPro 170DC Floor Repairs

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
SDyeti
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1992 SeaPro 170DC Floor Repairs

Post by SDyeti »

Quarantine has the SD Bay completely shutdown to recreational activities so I decided to get some boat work done. Originally just looking to place a thru-hull transducer and in the process discovered a literal boat load of for in the floor and other areas.

Ordered 3 gallons of marinepoxy and a bunch of other stuff a couple of days ago and lauched into the demo. There's definitely a part of me that wants to let this boat go and launch into an OB19 build but now is not the right time for that. So I have to keep this going until then.

Hopefully the imgur album loads....

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZLQcUEg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1992 SeaPro 170DC Floor Repairs

Post by fallguy1000 »

Take your time and do a good repair.

Any questions, we will try to help.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Imgur loaded. Looks like a big job. Good luck.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The decks look to be balsa cored is that right?

SDyeti
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SDyeti »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:41 pm The decks look to be balsa cored is that right?
Yes. The PO's all did fairly poor jobs of sealing the various deck penetrations that have occurred over the years. So there is a bunch of it that is fairly rotten and mostly gone. I will not be making that same mistake.

There was also a little piece of wood in the aft most bilge between the middle stringers that was found to be completely mush. I have no idea what purpose it served (maybe a place to mount a bilge pump). It was covered with some glass to some degree but that seems to have been mostly useless. It's been dig out and that area ihas been hopefully drying out now for a few days for more assessment.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Post pictures and ask any questions you might have as you go and one of us will try to help.

SDyeti
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SDyeti »

I definitely appreciate the offers of assistance. I think I have a general feel for the basics of the repair but this only comes from pouring over the efforts of others that have shared their stories here. I will definitely have questions in the future and maybe by showing my story someone else down the road will find something that helps them.

The general plan for the deck is to leave a 3" lip of the old floor around the perimeter to lay and bond the new floor to. I'll also build up some support on the stringers as they already seem about 1-1.5" short of the preexisting deck. The deck is planned to be 1/2" meranti with 6oz cloth on both sides. It will be epoxyied to the remaining lip and then 6oz tape all around it.

Of course before all that I'll have to figure out what to do with the bilge area as well as clean up the wiring in there, place another bilge pump for redundency, and place the transducer that was the genisis of this project.

Not that much at all really....🥺

SDyeti
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SDyeti »

[imgur2]https://imgur.com/gallery/sWFNioj[/imgur2]

Boat Repair Part 2 https://imgur.com/gallery/sWFNioj

Still not 100% on the pic posting. Hopefully one of the above gets you to pics.

Today I created some templates out of a spare piece if cdx I've had in the van for a while. The rear is one large piece and the upper two pieces are actually one piece that mirrors the other side just fine. I also worked on some support pieces. They are cut to lay over the stringers and support the new floor in the larger gaps. I still need to make a few more of them. I plan to coat the support pieces and tape them in place with 6oz tape.

Taking two days off to work and then probably back at it on Friday.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Looks good. When you glass the plywood make sure to seal the ends. The deck will out last you :D

SDyeti
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by SDyeti »

First coat going on today for the underside of the new boards.

https://imgur.com/gallery/LYSdlEo