1990 Privateer Roamer 20 ft.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1990 Privateer Roamer 20 ft.

Post by boguesounder »

Btw the burren is a beautiful place. I really enjoyed my time there and over to the dingle peninsula. Pretty part of the world. If you’re named after another burren just ignore! :D

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

boguesounder wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:34 pm Btw the burren is a beautiful place. I really enjoyed my time there and over to the dingle peninsula. Pretty part of the world. If you’re named after another burren just ignore! :D
Same one. Looking to escape my 2 little ones there somehow...someday.

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

boguesounder wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:30 pm Nice motor! Congrats. I don’t see many new Evinrudes around my waters. 200 hp outta push it good!

I would assume the two roamer are the same hull and that the difference comes mostly from the photos? Does yours measure out at 21’8”. I know there is a roamer II and I’ve probably know the differences of that hull at some point in my privateer fanboydom but can’t recall it off the top of my head?

Is the guy you found gonna swap the tank for you?
Yessir, I’ve contracted him to do the cutting and glass. I know it’s taking the easy way but I just don’t have the energy/ talent/ time/ whatever..
We’re going to do whatever needs to be done once he gets that tank out.

I have another guy to fabricate a replacement local, or BRADLEY at Radcliffe said he’ll make me one if I send him the dimensions..

I’m thinking painted aluminum.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Cool. Good to find experienced help when you need it. Will have you back on the water faster. I enjoy mucking about but it is a slow process for me. Not sure what your timeline is but hate will you miss fall fishing. Fun time of the year around here to be on the water. Shame that tank didn’t last a few more months. I may have been tempted to run it off a portable tank until December, ha! Crossing my fingers for you that things are in reasonable shape under the deck. Keep us posted.

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

boguesounder wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:37 pm Cool. Good to find experienced help when you need it. Will have you back on the water faster. I enjoy mucking about but it is a slow process for me. Not sure what your timeline is but hate will you miss fall fishing. Fun time of the year around here to be on the water. Shame that tank didn’t last a few more months. I may have been tempted to run it off a portable tank until December, ha! Crossing my fingers for you that things are in reasonable shape under the deck. Keep us posted.
Agreed, but truth be told I scratched that old JB weld fix off and exposed the pinhole leak. I think it’s better this way since I was about to repower with all new rigging .. better to sort it out now and redo what’s needed. I want to clean up that transom. Fuel filter is going below deck, steering hydraulics changing to bulkhead fittings, etc.

I’m going to post pics and update this thread as if I was doing the work. Like I said, this fella has a lot of experience on the engineering level building out/ repairing/ retrofitting Beneteau boats $500k and up. Not a 55 ft Bertram but plenty enough to qualify him for my 20’ privateer!

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Sweet. I look forward to watching your progress. Love the privateer rebuilds. Sounds like you have great plans!

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

*Quick update. The floor had some rot, the stringers also. Not a lot but some soft spots so I decided to just gut it and redo. Dropped 3k to the Beneteau fella the other day for parts and materials. The fuel tank was tiny. 72”x26”x4” with a v taper at the pickup. About 30 gals total so that explains a lot.
I picked up a poly moeller from Great Lakes skipper for 750.00 that gives me 65gals and will fit between the stringers.
I’m still looking to get a LiveWell plumbed at the transom, a 4 or 6” setback jackplate, floor storage up front and I’d like to increase the bilge area and mount the fuel filter for the Evinrude under deck. I know I saw a picture of someone’s like that and it was nice and clean..

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Sounds like it will be really nice. You going with composite on the rebuild?