1990 Privateer Roamer 20 ft.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1990 Privateer Roamer 20 ft.

Post by theburren »

Greetings! I’m a novice boater who just bought my current setup last year, a beautiful 1990 20 ft Roamer. I’ve decided to repower and in the process I found a pinhole leak I my 30 yr old tank. So I’m going to replace the tank and whatever else I need so I don’t have problems in the future. I don’t have any experience with fiberglass repair and honestly the build threads here are mind boggling for someone like me. So I’m going to try to get this beautiful boat’s fuel and stringers and deck sorted out. If I was able to find someone to do it for me properly I would in a heartbeat! Sadly, Myrtle beach has no such available tradesmen~. Alas, I’ll be learning how to fix a boat floor!
thanks in advance for any help—

Last edited by theburren on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 1990 Privateer Roamer 20 ft.

Post by Fuzz »

That is a great looking boat.
So you need to pull the fuel tank and replace it? And doing so will involve cutting up some deck? The good news is replacing the deck is not too hard of a job. I hate to say this as it could be opening Pandora's box but while you are at it I would check the transom and stringers. I have no idea how well the factory did building it but You are dealing with a 30 year old boat.

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

Thanks Fuzz. Your expertise is evident as I have been reading through Slickcav and others previous projects. I really hope that I don’t have to rip the entire stringer system out but — it sure would be nice to gut it and replace it with dry wood! I really like this 20’

The transom seems SOLID.
Yes, the tank has a small pinhole leak I exposed right near the pickup. I was having some issues accessing all the fuel (it was running dry at 26-30 gals) so I thought the pickup tube might be bad. The tank is done, just a matter of time, but the floor has just one small soft spot at the 7pm position of where the console sat . The rest feels strong

I sure would like to cut the front and rear center stringers out like others have and build some “in the floor” storage (up front) and larger bilge area so that I can put my fuel filter down there.

Don’t any of ya’ll with so many years experience freelance!?

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

Questions:
Tomorrow I am going to start draining the tank of fuel and cutting a chunk of floor out. The tank is about 6’ long and 26” wide.
Do I just measure to the side stringers supporting the tank and add a few inches and cut, so that when I put new wood it will lay on the stringer?
Or is there a specific way I’m supposed to cut to make replacing easier?
Thanks

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Are you going to be putting down new deck in that area? If so I would not worry if I had to cut it up in pieces. Either way you are going to want the deck to either be half way over the stringers or on new cleats that you will install for support. Make the cut out big enough to have working room to pull the tank. Do you know if it is foamed in or not?

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

I don’t know if it’s foamed or not, but yes I’m definitely going to want to replace at least the piece I cut to remove the tank, in the process replacing that one small soft section. I should know tomorrow if it’s foamed, and how rotted the stringers look. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Hey man. Nice boat. I just finished (finishing up) a Retriever. It is also documented in CL's corner.

I remember when your boat was for sale. The guy had a couple of Privateers he sold. That pink one and yours. Is that right? You have a very distinctive console - I wonder what it came from originally. He was in NC I thought? If that is the boat I'm thinking about, it looks much nicer in your photos than it did on his listings. Sweet rig.

Have you opened up the floor yet? Upload some pics if so. You may get lucky and find the stringer under / near that soft spot is ok. It could have been caused by a console screw not being sealed properly.

Jig saw and/or a multi-tool with carbide cutting blade are your friend on this. I would try not to cut into the stringer if possible.

Slickcav (same guy here and THT) would be a good resource for you also. He is working on his second Roamer and did tanks in both. Below deck storage on his current build. He is up in MD if I recall correctly.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Assume you saw this project: https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=80

There are many other Privateer rebuilds out there of varied quality but worth looking at for tips.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Assume you saw this project: https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.ph ... 4&start=80

There are many other Privateer rebuilds out there of varied quality but worth looking at for tips.

This is from another Roamer tank replacement, not my rig:

theburren
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by theburren »

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I saw Slickcavs newer build- I am hoping to copy his storage up front and in the bilge.
* bad news today. Don’t ever use UShip!
Apparently someone in Gaffney SC needed a new outboard and snaked my Evinrude small block I had shipped from Sunset Marine in El Cajon CA.
*UPS Freight working with UShip bid the transport for $430.00 and I jumped on it.
It was supposed to be delivered today and they’re saying it’s gone missing. And, UShip is saying because it was an LTL shipment they only pay 10 to 50 cents/ pound.
I paid $14276.09 for the outboard, prop, batt cables and key switch, and delivery and they are saying I’m only going to get to claim $250
This is the manager at UShip saying this.
Needless to say I didn’t get to cut today and tomorrow I have to work, but yea, I was just going to use a skilsaw and cut just outside the tank stringers..
carbide tip you say?
Last edited by theburren on Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.