Fuel Fun

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Fuel Fun

Post by rbecker08 »

So there was this hurricane and my boat was outside and worried some water got in the tank. I have a 60 gallon tank that is about half full and tried to snake a standard siphon down there....it didn't work I don't think it would go around the 90. How does one usually do this, I pictured the tank access, does one of those fittings usually come off, or what is the standard way to get gas out. Thanks Rich

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Fuel Fun

Post by rbecker08 »

Well it won't let me post pictures on this forum but there is a 1/2 inch and cap screwed into a 90 coming out of the tank and there is a 3 inches circle thing held in by screws that has wires(assuming the gauge data out)

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

Yes the "circle thing with screws " should be your fuel gauge. The other 90 coming off the tank with a the 1/2" plug should be another access point. You could try opening that and using a jump. Or you could pump it all out with the primer bulb.

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Kenfyoozed wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:21 pm Yes the "circle thing with screws " should be your fuel gauge. The other 90 coming off the tank with a the 1/2" plug should be another access point. You could try opening that and using a jump. Or you could pump it all out with the primer bulb.
Does the gauge have nuts on the backside and if so how do I stop from losing them

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So for anyone facing this fun the gauge is the way to go.....easy and wide access. No nuts and they are really not screwed down all that hard

Kenfyoozed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kenfyoozed »

Make sure you seal it back up properly or you will be doing it again soon

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Temporarily extend the fuel line going to the motor so you can use it as a siphon. If you have water in the fuel you'll see it in the first bit you take out as it will settle to the bottom of the tank.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Well, it is easy to drain the fuel. Take the hose off the engine. Remove the fitting. Extend the line with a coupling and some fuel line or clear line. Line up the buckets.

Prime and keep the hose low.

It is a bit dangerous to have all that much fuel in five gallon buckets as the vapors coming off the top are super flammable. A cigarette can explode them. Worse if no wind and hot.

Water settles to the bottom of the tank, but usually the pickup tube is up off the bottom a bit.

So, you could run out say 10 gallons and have a real good idea about the amount of water you pulled out.

The bad news is water will remain, but you can also install a largerish fuel and water separator in line. Some water gets into my lawn mowers now and then. It usually will burn through it. Coughs and sputters some.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

So I have never claimed to be a smart man.....I figured out how to siphon the gas and was well on my way to getting this tank ready to go for today but a new problem. I either got wrapped around something or a crazy strong vacuum pull but the brass fitting at the end of my siphon hose came off in the tank....

Taking it to the marina tomorrow but how big of a problem is this......I have nightmares about having to cut out and replace the tank. Its brass with a captured ball bearing, 5/8ish wide and about 1 one long

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

So you have a lose fitting in the tank from the siphon hose :doh: If so I am not sure what harm it will cause.