91 chawk 222 rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Stinkbait
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 91 chawk 222 rebuild

Post by Stinkbait »

Got transom glasses in. Ended up doing 4 inner layers, and followed the recommended largest overlap to smallest. Learned real quick that 1708 soaks up some damn resin, ended up throwing down a clean sheet of plastic and prewetted the other 3 layers. Made It go alot smoother. I had resin slingin everywhere as I was solo, gonna final sand inner tomorrow and lay down some fairing. I'm using hawks f5 light density filler for the fairing. I've already got 2 thin coats of it on outer , and Its very beginner user friendly, imo. Once I get it all sanded and smoothed out, should I coat it with a thin layer of resin to help protect it? I wont be getting around to paint for a long time and u sure if I should leave it exposed. :doh:

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I think I would put a thin coat over the fairing to help seal it.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Stinkbait wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:48 pm Got transom glasses in. Ended up doing 4 inner layers, and followed the recommended largest overlap to smallest. Learned real quick that 1708 soaks up some damn resin, ended up throwing down a clean sheet of plastic and prewetted the other 3 layers. Made It go alot smoother. I had resin slingin everywhere as I was solo, gonna final sand inner tomorrow and lay down some fairing. I'm using hawks f5 light density filler for the fairing. I've already got 2 thin coats of it on outer , and Its very beginner user friendly, imo. Once I get it all sanded and smoothed out, should I coat it with a thin layer of resin to help protect it? I wont be getting around to paint for a long time and u sure if I should leave it exposed. :doh:
You can't leave it in direct sun for more than about 3 weeks or it'll yellow and started to degrade depending upon locale.

At a minimum, cover with a tarp, or put a coat of primer on it and tarp it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Maryland is a wee bit better than Florida.

Still best to cover. I left some areas outside over summer in Mn and they are fully yellowed and need sanding out.

If you seal with epoxy; it might be a sanding layer, but would be hard if uneven areas..

Stinkbait
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Stinkbait »

Plan on keeping in the pole barn over the winter, was in a mad dash to get transom done before "winter". I have it on trailer and corner jacked n keel supported . My thought process was to pull it out of barn and cut, remove, and grind the the stringers(to keep dust to a minimum in my shop) for a couple days ,then back it back in the barn and resupport the keel and Jack's all around. Is this a good idea? Would this cause any major hull distortion in such a short period of time? I'm planning on getting the stringers built n atleast tack welded w thickened epoxy in place over the winter(want to keep rolling on this build). And, if maybe were to get a warm spell could get a little glassworks done. Since I'm doing the whole build w marineepoxy, I'm assuming no gel coat? Paint only? If so, any economical recommendations for primer and topcoat that will take somewhat of a beating? I'm guessing a couple coats of high build on the primer

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I would take measurements from a few spots on the transom and chines to the ground now. After you get it gutted and are ready to install the new stringers you can use the measurements to make sure things are correct. The odds are pretty high there will be some movement and you want to have it right. As for primer most of us use and are happy with the System 3 primer. To me it is not a real high build primer but it does seem to work with most topcoats. I will let someone who knows more than me about paints answer that question.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I would NOT remove the stringers and let it set all winter.