Rebuild: 27' Blackfin Sportsman

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Rebuild: 27' Blackfin Sportsman

Post by LilRichard »

Been a bit crazy at work, so not a ton to post... but wanted to provide a small update. I cut part of the old canvas supports off the tower structure in prep for the hardtop. Will have tabs welded on the inside to secure to the hardtop, and legs will be cut down to receive attachment plates as well.

This is what was cut off:

I used 4" corecell PVC to form my rear corner radiuses. After some time on the belt sander, they fit in perfectly. A little clay covers the seams. Note, perpendicular radiuses are only partially complete.

Working the clay into radiuses. After those are complete, I will spray a few coats of PVA and then it's gelcoat time. Note, unfinished MDF edges will be coated prior to gelcoat / layup.

That's it for now. Assuming I don't get crushed at work, I hope to layup the top this week over a few evenings.

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

So not the most exciting post, but the boat certainly looks much different. I took the hull over to a local soda blaster, and he did a fantastic job. They managed to get decades of bottom paint off, without blowing through the gelcoat. There were a few spots they got down to glass, but mainly in areas where there were some small voids in the glass. Happy to not find any major blistering, nor any major repairs.

Before:

After:

I did notice what looked like post-mold glass work. It was too clean to be aftermarket, and it was right where the hull chine turns down (which all boats of this model have):

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

Dupe Post...
Last edited by LilRichard on Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP »

Looks great either the bottom blasted!

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

I finished my mold and laid up the hardtop. Apologies for no interim posts, but I will cover it all here.

Materials are 1708 45deg, polyester, and 1” Nida. I waxed mold three times, sprayed three coats of PVA, and rolled gelcoat into the mold. I planned on painting with Awlgrip (or comparable), so I wasn’t intent on a perfect layup. I prefer sanding and fairing a light coat of gelcoat versus glass, especially when the glass is only one layer thick. May be unnecessary, but old habits die hard.

Finished Mold getting a coat of gel:

Adding a layer of 4” 1708 on edges, over thickened resin:

The wife spilled a little resin on the front edge, whoops:

First layer of glass:

Nidacore in:

Thin layer of resin hot-coated prior to layup:

Second layer of glass:

And it’s out!

All in all, turned out great. I had a small bubble or two in the gelcoat, but planned to sand and prime anyway, so happy with the result. Edges looked great, given they were hand molded clay. I’ll add an ebox to the underside and a few small channels for lights, then time for superstructure fabrication.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Nice!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

How did you do the edges in mould? I get the 4" tape, but how did the tape and the nidacore make contact well? I am envisioning margins, or did you mud that in woth thickened resin?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

cape man wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:06 amNice!
Thank you!
fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:54 am How did you do the edges in mould? I get the 4" tape, but how did the tape and the nidacore make contact well? I am envisioning margins, or did you mud that in woth thickened resin?
Well the tape was put in before the first full layer of glass. The first full layer covered the tape, then yes - I used some thickened resin between the glass and the Nidacore. Spread it on with a trowel and then weighed the core down.

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

Still making progress, but it doesn’t look like much yet. Loosened the cap toward the aft in order to gain access to the built in livewell, and so I could assess where to best cut the cap / liner.

Cut the cap about a foot forward of the aft portion. Core was clean and dry:

Rear portion of cap removed. Liner is next.

Step-daughter likes using the driver, so she got to remove remaining screws / bolts:

Tore out the remainder of the cabin interior:

I will get some more pictures, but as of today the rear liner has been removed, stringers are cut back (and dry, yay), and grinding has commenced. More to come soon.

LilRichard
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by LilRichard »

I started removing all of the remaining attachments on the transom:

Cut out the stringers to make room for the core. Dry as a bone, and built like a brick outhouse!

About 2/3 of the transom ground down, including removal of the wood mounting pads and other miscellaneous structures.

Got the hardtop out of the garage and cleaned it up. Edges need to be properly trimmed, but otherwise good

One more shot of cabin cleaned out: