Unusual Drain Plug

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Unusual Drain Plug

Post by Cowbro »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:33 pm
Cowbro wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:25 pm The only drawback aside from dumping water while underway is that it is slightly more difficult to verify the plug is installed while the boat is on the trailer.
Dump some water in the hull... did it come out? yes... no plug. I know this works thanks to a neighbor :)
Not where I'm from, lol. if i dumped some water in the boat to check for the drain plug just before getting to the boat ramp the boat would fail the Quagga/Zebra mussel inspection and I wouldn't be allowed to launch. I've even heard of people being turned away due to fog/mist collecting inside of a kayak on an early morning. :? :doh:

Got to love California. (Only applies to non-tidal waters, and mostly just the larger lakes that have resources to inspect, but still...)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Cowbro wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:42 pm
Jaysen wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:33 pm
Cowbro wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:25 pm The only drawback aside from dumping water while underway is that it is slightly more difficult to verify the plug is installed while the boat is on the trailer.
Dump some water in the hull... did it come out? yes... no plug. I know this works thanks to a neighbor :)
Not where I'm from, lol. if i dumped some water in the boat to check for the drain plug just before getting to the boat ramp the boat would fail the Quagga/Zebra mussel inspection and I wouldn't be allowed to launch. I've even heard of people being turned away due to fog/mist collecting inside of a kayak on an early morning. :? :doh:

Got to love California. (Only applies to non-tidal waters, and mostly just the larger lakes that have resources to inspect, but still...)
We dump at the ramp. Not because of env restrictions but because that's when we remember! I think that would solve that problem for you as well.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Cowbro wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:25 pm
1. It is standard on many production boats. My mastercraft ski boat had a drain right under the front of the engine (inboard/direct drive).
My 68 Century Cheetah was the same way. I preferred to let the bilge pump remove water while underway vs pulling the drain plug :help: . The only issue I had with it mounted where it was was that the end of the plug would scrape/rub the trailer bunk when loading/unloading, probably more related to the incorrect bunk config than the location. Mine was right in front of the drivers seat so it was pretty easy to lift a panel ensure it was in and not leaking.

My sailboat also has a drain located midship near the top of the keel/bottom of the bilge, bronze with NPT threads. My only issue with that is that the threads really need to be sealed when you put the plug in, which is fine for me as the sailboat goes in/out once per season. If I tried to torque it enough to where I maybe didn't need to seal the threads, there's a chance of spinning the fitting in the hole(don't ask how I know that).
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

I went to the link but still do not understand how it works :doh: Must be a little slow :oops: