Restoring a Seacraft SF 18

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
ChuckCallahan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Restoring a Seacraft SF 18

Post by ChuckCallahan »

Greetings to all-

I am starting a new project and looking for guidance from those that have been down this path. The project is a 1975 Seacraft SF 18 with a 2005 Johnson 115. The boat is in extremely good shape. From all outward appearances and from the demo work I have now started I am not running into any ugly surprises that have me shaking my head as to what was I thinking. This will be my first boat project, but I am familiar with large projects, RV 6 (aircraft) built about 10 years ago, and some odd woodworking endeavors. With that being said, the project.

The goal will be to bring the boat around to a level of finish to include all new wiring, hoses, and SS hardware throughout. Losing the bow rail and most of the windscreen, flush decks, and minimal obstacles to clutter. The boat will be painted inside and out and while the boat is on stands, I will refurb the trailer. With a little TLC, my mechanic says the engine will serve me well for a couple of years. The only structural change I am considering involves, of course, the transom. It appears sound, I have included pics. This is where I would like some guidance.

1. Aside from tapping with a hammer for sound differences, how do I determine the transom is sound enough to work with or it needs to be replaced?

2. If the transom is sound, is there any safe and secure method to build on the transom, raising it several inches, maybe even fully enclosing it, or will that need a full replacement?

Hope this is enough info to shed some light. I've included a link to several pics and if more are needed let me know.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

There is a spec sheet from the mfg in the photos

Thanks in advance for letting me share this.

Chuck

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Restoring a Seacraft SF 18

Post by Fuzz »

Welcome Chuck,
That is a really nice looking boat, it is easy to see why you are willing to put some work and money into it. Being a 1975 model I would not be surprised if there were lots of problems you can not see at this time. Opening up a boat of this age can be a lot like opening Pandora's box :help: So you have to decide how far you are willing to go if needed. She might be solid as a rock or you might find rot all over the place? If it were me I would use a hole saw and cut some plugs out of places you think are the most likely to have rot. Do not cut through the outside skin and if the plug looks good you can always put it back in with some epoxy glue.

ChuckCallahan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ChuckCallahan »

Hey Fuzz,

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I am willing to go the distance if needed. I was wondering about the hole saw as a way to make some determination, you just confirmed that, as a logical means. As for the idea of extending the transom, is that a realistic (safe and reasonable) idea to raise the transom?

Another question I forgot to ask, concerns the fuel tank. It's 20 years old, with no signs of leaking. Its placard says it's 30 Gal. but the dims (40x26x10) calculate it out to be 45 gals. so I am estimating it to weigh less than 70 lbs. I think it would be a good idea to replace it at this time. The tank rests under the deck. Mounted with four brackets. I can see the tank rests on neoprene pads that appear to run the length of the tank fore and aft and glued down with 5200. This is an assumption based on the parts list of the retained invoice the prior owner provided. I called the marine shop that did the work, but unfortunately, the operation no longer exists. What I have been able to do is run a fish tape under the length of the tank, but this can't be done from side to side, hence the belief the neoprene strips are full length. Attempting to lift one end with a tapered pry bar and prying against some hardwood blocks, I got no movement, hence the thought of the 5200 being used in the installation. How do I get this mother out? My one thought centers around fishing nylon tow straps under the length of the tank and in some way using a jack resting on hardwood pads at each end creating a lifting force. Maybe with a 4x4 post spanning the length of the jacks and securing the straps to a spreader running perpendicular to the post and attached on the top of the post. Hopefully, I am not seeing the forest for the trees here and there is a more intelligent method.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Living where I do I have never seen a SeaCraft in person so all I can tell you is what I know from general boat knowledge. All the SeaCrafts I have seen, in pictures, have foam filled stringers so those are normally in good shape. If the transom is solid you have found a real gem. Raising the transom should be no big deal. Are you wanting to raise it for a longer shaft motor or to put a bracket on it?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

ChuckCallahan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:55 am How do I get this mother out?
Cracker Larry used fishing line or thin wire to cut or saw a part free where 5200 had been used. Your situation will be more awkward, but maybe something along those lines would help.
Hank

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Thinking about the fuel tank. you say it is sitting on rubber and is 20 years old. If true then it is not the original tank and might just be ok. The way it is mounted does water drain to let the tank remain dry?

ChuckCallahan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ChuckCallahan »

Hey Fuzz. I know it’s not the original tank. The rubber appears to run the length of the tank from stem to stern orientation. Water can flow underneath to drain holes located at the stern end of the bath tub which the tank lies in.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You gotta find a way to cut the tank out with some formnof rope saw. You can try anything that fits between the tank and the edge/bh. A bandsaw blade? Piano wire?

Something will work. Might take 3 hours.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

If the tank was installed the right way it might be as good as new still. There are lots of 50-60 year old aluminium boats around here that are good as new. Do you know the tank is bad or are you wanting to replace it as a proactive measure?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:00 pm If the tank was installed the right way it might be as good as new still. There are lots of 50-60 year old aluminium boats around here that are good as new. Do you know the tank is bad or are you wanting to replace it as a proactive measure?
..second that
...might be easier to install a removeable panel instead
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495