Chris Craft Scorpion 21

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Chris Craft Scorpion 21

Post by fallguy1000 »

So, I have access to a repairable CC 21 Scorpion. Price is free.

The only thing bugging me is the back.

Does anyone know why they have this removable back slide thing? Seems like a good way for a boat to Zink!

This is just a pic and not the beater boat.
7F7EC92D-2267-4859-8DD5-4A8107F1D940.jpeg
7F7EC92D-2267-4859-8DD5-4A8107F1D940.jpeg (71.08 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Chris Craft Scorpion 21

Post by VT_Jeff »

Helps to keep Sea Lions out of the cockpit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jgtBNIZHEw
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cape man

Post by cape man »

You pull that up and out to climb in the boat. As long as the boat isn't too heavy, or loaded down too much, it should be above the waterline. That board will deflect most of a wave coming in the stern. My friend's Calcutta has a similar set up (hinged) and it's great for diving or hauling a big fish in.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

As long as you have plenty of extra floatation and a well sealed deck I can see how that st up could work well. It should drain water as fast as it comes in so you get a sort of surfboard effect.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I haven't looked at a CC Scorpion in years so I can't remember how well they did theirs but on some boats it's a great setup. The best ones I have seen hinge down when pushed from the inside, like a 18"x48" scupper. My requirements changed a lot in the last couple of years but if I do a 25-27 footer I'll probably include a setup like that.

But the ones you can lift out are pretty decent as well. Great for divers. I've rarely seen a boarding wave slam a transom with major force, and I do stuff with boats most people won't, because part of the year I commute that way and it's either show up for forty hours a week or hit the road, and when your paycheque depends on you ignoring the weather you make different decisions than recreational boaters. And even so, I can hardly think of an instance in which a storm board wouldn't withstand the forces applied by a boarding wave.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What if I bracket the hull? Would if be wiser to go full height and make a boarding door?

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well, I don't think I've ever wished for less freeboard at the transom...if you're making changes anyway you could certainly raise the height of it. I guess depending on the bracket and the motor that might be wise because I'm guessing the Scorpions were all designed for lighter 2-strokes; you put a bracket and a heavier 4-stroke on, she might sit low at the stern and then that storm board transom arrangement doesn't seem so hot.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

cracked_ribs wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:14 am Well, I don't think I've ever wished for less freeboard at the transom...if you're making changes anyway you could certainly raise the height of it. I guess depending on the bracket and the motor that might be wise because I'm guessing the Scorpions were all designed for lighter 2-strokes; you put a bracket and a heavier 4-stroke on, she might sit low at the stern and then that storm board transom arrangement doesn't seem so hot.
Right.

Although not sure the guy is still gonna bring it to me. I told him I'd take it, but wasn't payin.

He was gonna, but my back went out last week and I asked him to wait a bit. Haven't heard from him now.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

There are a couple boat models made even today that have open transoms.

I would rather custom build a closed transom & add a bracket. That 21 will feel like a MUCH larger boat & most likely give better performance all the way around.

Those are sweet little boats. Get it...the price is right...