Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by VT_Jeff »

Winches be like:
20210630_154203.jpg
20210630_154058.jpg
20210630_154114.jpg
20210630_154131.jpg
20210630_154148.jpg
20210630_154226.jpg
Desirable?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Those are some sweet #6 there! What did they come off of?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:51 pm Those are some sweet #6 there! What did they come off of?
Late 70's Leisure 22. Great little micro cruiser from england. Many/most are bilge-keelers, mine was a fin-keel with a bulb. Had in-mast main furling off a Rhodes 22. Trailerable, but not a trailer-sailor.
20210630_155716.jpg
Btw, this is the 68 century cheetah I never stop talking about, I had it for about 10 years, sold it a few years ago for lack of use.
20150811_142814.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Bilge keelers are getting my attention of late. I have lots of places to sit a boat on an outgoing tide but find make me nervous. Bilgers win for that move.

Today was a semi bust. Put rebuilt rebuilt carb back on motor and no gas was squirting out the side. Motor ran 8min through adjustment and warmup. After 22min of simulated motoring (motor in gear so under load) the cough and die scenario returned.

Looks like I’m going to be finding a Mercury service center.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Well that sucks! I hate any form of power I can not count on.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jaysen wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:31 am

The other thing I’m wondering is if the OLD fuel system/lines on the boat are part of the problem. I’ll be replacing all of it as I think the lines are degraded and possibly collapsing surging use.
Have you done anything in this area yet? Does the fuel cap vent work?

22 minutes under load is more than enough time for the motor to reach normal operating temps. Water stream warm or to warm? Any of the electrical stuff on the motor getting warmer than they should?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I removed the fuel cap on restart attempts. No help.

I have not completed the new fuel system install. Since I have to save $$ for the wrench time I’ll be completing that next.

Stream is good and warm. It is thermostat motor so I know when the motor is warmed up. I don’t feel that the water was hotter at the end than the beginning.

Electronics all seem to be functioning. Nothing smoking it hotter than other parts. It is a two cylinder motor so I can compare ignition components.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Start with the basics: fuel, spark and air. Don't know what you have done to verify these 3 things so, can you answer these tests?

Quick tests will narrow down where to look. As soon as it stops working, pull the plugs and see if they are dry or wet? 20+ minutes of run time under load they should be dry. If they are wet then is it fuel or water? While the plugs are out measure spark output at the coil wires. Simple spark tester made from old plug and alligator clip will work. If the spark seems good at both coil wires then pull choke and notice the sound change when cranking and more gas smell from cyl. Make sure plug wires are not anywhere near. If the choke is a butterfly valve style, and there is a sound change, that tells you the motor is getting air when the choke is open. No increase in fuel smell out of spark plug holes tells you it is the fuel system that is causing the problem.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I had a mid 80s 40hp Johnson that would do the same thing. Run like a top for 20-30 minutes and then run on one cylinder for a couple of minutes and then die. Damn thing left me drifting way too many times. After about ten trips to the dealer I gave up and bought a different brand outboard. I am sure it was electrical but the dealer could never fix the problem.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Today was “cut plywood” day. The plan was to cut washboards and frames. They are cut, but it ain’t pretty.

Laying out the center and edge lines.

Pattern fully laid out. Time to cut.

All cut. The big mistakes I made were cutting the frame tops too narrow and not being able to cut the beveled edge straight.

Tomorrow will be sanding, epoxy sealing/gluing and lil bit bottoms work.

And for those that wonder what other dumb things I do… painted bunting. Been trying to get him to sit still for a few months. Finally got him. Much better looking in person. Unlike me. Or Fuzz.