Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by VT_Jeff »

pee wee wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:49 am Perhaps more to your needs:

https://moyermarine.com/product/control ... ug_16_556/

Great find! I moved my switches to my console but was originally going to put them on the back wall of the cockpit, this would have worked great as an enclosure for them.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

In completely unrelated, but due to having this boat, I am now employed as a seasonal dockhand at the marina. It appears that the qualifications for "experience" are pretty simple... know how not to run into a bridge. Accidentally wound up working an hour today. There appears to be an inverse relationship between the value of a boat and the tips to the dockhands. I'm not complaining (I wasn't expecting any tips) but it was an item of discussion in the dock house.

It is also interesting how many people really don't know how to manage the basic docking process. I couldn't imagine owning and insuring a multi-million dollar yacht and not have a clue how to properly cleat either end of a dock line.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

A clue is something you pay someone else to have!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

narfi wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:15 pm A clue is something you pay someone else to have!
Yes. Apparently they left that person at the last marina.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Congratulations!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks. It's one of those things that just kind of fell into my lap.

I'm sitting on the boat and the dockmaster asks if I've retired. "Nah, just covid casualty". "Well, if you wouldn't consider it an insult, we need help. Everyone here likes you and you know your way around the boats." "Sure. The Mrs is tired of me sitting on the couch all day."

And that's that. Meanwhile, I've put in nearly 50 applications in my "professional field" and had exactly 2 interviews. I'll take the low stress, enjoyable atmosphere, and boat focused job for now.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Confirms my fears that dock hands do notice and do report on my shitty docking skills.

:lol: :lol:

Glad to hear you found a good situation!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

narfi wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:15 pm A clue is something you pay someone else to have!
Nobody on a motorboat has a clew.
Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

The genny asked the chute why he was so prone to broaching.

"I don't have a clew"

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Once upon a time, a relative of mine took me sailing. We got to the edge of the lagoon under a spit of wind and it died to zero and I mean nothin.

So I proceeded to try and start the Jaysen (sorry). After 30 minutes of pullin, blisters, some cursin, I said I don'f know Hugh, but it seems like it ain't gettin a drop of gas. He said, well, I just fixed it last week. I said, oh? What's you do? He says, "I found a bolt with a hole in it and I went and got a solid bolt to make it stronger."

I said, "Hugh, that is how the gas flows to the carb!"

He say, oh? Hugh sits there a minute, looking really sad. We get towed in. There was wind on the lake. Lagoon had zero.

Back at dads, I drill a hole in his repair bolt. Thing fires on about the third pull.

Hugh says, "I bet you think I'm a real gashole".

Sorry for callin that non-starter a Jaysen. Won't happen again.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495