Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

terrulian wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:46 pm Always a bit of silicone in the track while re-hoisting.
Funny thing... two tracks on the furler. That seems odd to me.

We used the spray silicone on the J. But we did the whole on/off every sail. Same stuff for sails being left on?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Today is “secondary motor acquisition day”.

I have acquired a 2004 Mercury 9.9 long. Verified running. Heading north to Maryland Monday/Tuesday with installation on Lil Bit More Thursday/Friday.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Whooo Hoooo!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Not that unusual to have two tracks. Possible uses: quick headsail change, or twin headsails for running.
Tony

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

My furler has 2 tracks also. I can hoist a new sail before lowering the working one. Done it 0 times.

My suspicion would be that a sail maker would work from the boat/rig dimensions and not sail measurements, I'll be interested to know which is the case.

Good news on the new motor, just dont overfill the oil like some total morons on this board have been known to do.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The problem with raise before lower is that the upper drum rides the track down. There’s really no way to use the second track without lowering the current sail.

I like the idea of wings for running. Seems a tad bit easier than a proper spin (which I have).

Triple check the evap can and input manifold. I bet you are filled up and aren’t venting the case.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:15 pm The problem with raise before lower is that the upper drum rides the track down. There’s really no way to use the second track without lowering the current sail.

I like the idea of wings for running. Seems a tad bit easier than a proper spin (which I have).

Triple check the evap can and input manifold. I bet you are filled up and aren’t venting the case.

Interesting on the upper drum. I need to get back on my boat before I open my mouth again.

I think you may be on to something on the oil question, I got a similar response on thumpertalk, going to run that down. Appreciate it!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

It hurts nothing to hoist a single headsail on an extrusion with two slots.
We ran double poled-out headsails off the wind: one was the genoa on a furler, and the other was a light nylon 125 with a wire luff that we hoisted behind the headstay and just shackled to a fitting on the deck. This system was amazingly adjustable and versatile.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We haven’t run sails back up yet. Cover for main needs repaired. No starboard winch for jib. Although I may “make it work” Saturday and run the sails up because ...

I’ll be running from Savannah to DC over the next 48hr to retrieve the motor! I’ve heard it run via net and sounds ok. Going to give it a go over tomorrow AM before loading it. Guy says we can put it on a dinghy. He runs a store that sells parts off of boats that are DOA so I’ll look for a few other things at discount prices while I’m there. Bonus that he is providing me a 30d return if the motor doesn’t work. It’s a bit of a drive but still cheaper than I can get a used one local.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Drive safe Jaysen!!! Jeff