Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by fallguy1000 »

Straight up Jeff...is that your wife in the Skook rapids?

That is so cool.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:28 pm Straight up Jeff...is that your wife in the Skook rapids?

That is so cool.
Indeed! We've done a few trips there, it's the holy grail of whitewater play boating. Incredible spot there, the sechelt inlet. Hoping to get back there one of these days once Canada gets opened back up.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:44 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:28 pm Straight up Jeff...is that your wife in the Skook rapids?

That is so cool.
Indeed! We've done a few trips there, it's the holy grail of whitewater play boating. Incredible spot there, the sechelt inlet. Hoping to get back there one of these days once Canada gets opened back up.
That is great! Your wife has talent!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:44 am
That is great! Your wife has talent!
Yeah, great cook too, literally. Shes the queen of cool and I'm a shameless promoter, admittedly. Shes competed all over the us, CN and eu in freestyle and squirt and once in downriver, though not great results in that discipline.

But her new passion is fly-fishing. Wasting no time at that either. But shes a great motivation for my boatbuilding: shes chomping at the bit to catch fish from the skiff!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Disappointing day.

Decided high slack was ideal time to “spin” her in the dock. Had the dock master and extra hand for dock assist. Mrs sitting on bow to inspire success (and handle bow lines). Motor fired up and ready to go.

Twist her into reverse and at idle she starts to move. At a good clip even. As we clear the helms 27 next to us she starts going hard to starboard. I can’t up the motor and push tiller to starboard (boat not motor tiller). Boat moves faster but keeps going in the starboard line. At this point I’ve cleared my finger and have drifted into the next slip over. I wind her up and we move faster ... to starboard. At this point I’m three fingers over and running out of room and out of slack tide. I push tiller hard starboard on both boat and Moyer to no avail. I twist the throttle hard to forward to try to get some forward motion leaving boat tiller hard starboard but motor tiller dead ahead. Boat responds by moving forward but continuing to drift starboard. At this point I’m over two fingers and fending myself off a bowsprit of a 40’ trawler. The dock master is holding me off of a finger midship. She moving forward, I’m holding tiller over with a knee and the dock hand is running to board the h27. As he grabs my bow I kill the motor and we all start laughing as realize the problem ... we forgot about the abnormal cross wind out of the south.

Basically with the hard south wind I stood no chance of getting out of there until I was facing into the wind. I probably would have made it if I used the h27 as mid ship pivoting on my way out to get her stern dead to the wind. Problem then would have been getting back to the dock.

Even without sails up we still have a huge wind profile that I forgot to account for. Bad Jaysen. Bad!

Plus side... no damage to any boat AND she’s now sleeping hindquarters in.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The only way to not have a sh*t show at the dock is to never use your boat. If you use the boat it is going to happen to you at some point. Anyone who says other wise is full of beans. The worst butthead move I ever made was just a couple years ago and with my Seasport. And that boat should be about the easiest thing I have to control.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I was just glad I used “excessive caution” and requested to dock hands. The dock master actually commented that it was much better than he expected since that boat hasn’t moved “in a couple years”. Seeing as it was the first time I’d sat at the helm of this boat untied I’m trying to give myself a pass.

That said, I’m developing a plan to assist with testing. Basically moving her forward on an outbound tide with lines still tied to dock should give me adequate room to get some better idea of how she handles.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

No help with boat handling under sail but maybe a little with power.
Take the boat out to a wide open area and try tons of different stuff. See how she reacts. Throw a buoy or fender over and try to back up to it, come along side, both sides. Learn how she backs and what it takes to make it go where you want it to.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am not sure what you have there for engine and gears, but if you had the ability to spin the motor in any direction, would it have helped? My little kicker is the horrid 2.5hp Yamaha, but offers 360 degree turning. Horrid motor. Carb is always fouling. Reminds me to get it out and see if it'll go tomorrow.

Also, a good article for you. I wouldn't be too hard on self. Super slow is part of the trouble and stern walk is complicated. I'm guessing you ran rudder up? But I think rudder needs to be used. Mrs. may need to help in close work as well.

I'll shut up now.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/walking-the-prop

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Sorry. Reread and I see you were trying to use the rudder. I do think you had some arse walk adding. Good luck.