Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by Jaysen »

Stern walk is a thing. This was so severe that, if it is the actual cause I’ll never be able to back the boat. At one point I did attempt to compensate with motor thrust via rotation but ... no good.

I’m going to run motor to full throttle tied up to see if the motor bogs before reaching rev limiter. It might be possible that I could go bigger on the prop and fit a bit more bite. I can also carb swap up to a 15hp. :D
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Jaysen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:00 am Stern walk is a thing. This was so severe that, if it is the actual cause I’ll never be able to back the boat. At one point I did attempt to compensate with motor thrust via rotation but ... no good.

I’m going to run motor to full throttle tied up to see if the motor bogs before reaching rev limiter. It might be possible that I could go bigger on the prop and fit a bit more bite. I can also carb swap up to a 15hp. :D

My boat has wicked prop walk in reverse, has led to more than one embarrassing situation. My strategy is this: use minimum thrust to get some way on in reverse with the rudder centered, and only then try to steer, keep thrust to absolute minimum amount to maintain some way on. Thrust against the rudder has weird effects. Also, get the motor shaft as vertically as possible, as prop walk itself is caused by shaft angle.

I very rarely dock my boat, it lives on a mooring. Each time I do it's a gripper.

All part of the excitement.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Part of the clue to the wind profile being my “forgotten factor” was that as soon as idled the motor the drift increased. As soon as I can figure out if I can safely navigate the fingers (I’ll get a photo today) I’ll be executing fuzz’s handling plan. It was part of what new crew did on the J30. I’ve planned to do it, but it is tough to do tied to the dock.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Crazy Jaysen!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

DC4C08A7-0A99-442A-8901-A7E0C9CB24EA.jpeg
This is my path out as seen from the bow. Note that the current runs in/out parallel to my boat. I have to account for tidal drift the second i untie.

Also realized during today’s “our boat is yellow not grey” session (aka scrub the boat) that the motor tiller jambs on the pushpits! This means that the entire time I thought I was motor tiller starboard I was actually slightly to port. That goes a long way to explaining everything in my mind.

Trying to schedule dock support for next week.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Beautiful view Jaysen!!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Looks like you have a lot of room to work with. With an outboard you should be able to get in and out of there with no fuss. I know most folks will tell you go slow but as far as I am concerned all that does is make it harder. When I first started running a single inboard I went real slow and was forever getting all messed up. My old mentor told me that the gear shift and throttle are there to be used. After learning that life got much easier. For me running a 40 foot single inboard is easier than a 20 foot outboard.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

The 40' tour boat indicates that it's only about 60' between the fingers. Over 30' needs a bow thruster. Typically you don't rotate the motor to steer these guys. Gets all kind of squirrely with that 5' long board right next to the motor :) I've seen systems that tie the tillers together to address the rudder interfering with the prop but I'm trying to keep it simple.

I think the "go fast" part is going to be key. Watching others go out yesterday had me thinking of drag races. Only the bow thruster boats seem to take their time. But then they are abusing that poor bow thruster.

My anchor line arrives today. Now that I have brakes on board we plan to get off the dock this week. At a minimum, we will just practice maneuvers to get a feel for how she handles. I know I'm being paranoid, but I'd prefer not to use that pricy insurance :)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

My brakes have arrived!

300’ of 3/8” with thimbles each end. Way more than I need “today” but once we start going out to the big we will need it. For now it means we are good to leave the dock as we can execute emergency stop.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Happy birthday Jaysen. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).