Jaysen's Helms 24

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Jaysen's Helms 24

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:16 pm I’m pretty sure it isn’t fuel supply. My gut tells me it is carb issue (which is fuel supply technically). I’ve been fighting a mix issue. I think the problem is that once the motor gets hot the mix problem is insurmountable. Calling a pro at this point because it’s too critical a system for me to be guessing.
If it starts now easily, it is flooding. Some two strokes are exceptional at doing it at the end of the run. I had one that did. Practice flooding it. Seriously. Learn how to flood it and to clear the flood. Probably the best thing I ever did as now when my lawn mowers have issues I have really got it down.

To flood it choke it too long. To clear the flood, open the throttle all the way. If open throttle bore floods it, then close it, but it should not. I had an old Merc 4 that I could only stop by flooding it with the choke.

I had a Merc years ago with gears and throttle combined. If you have one of them; you must get rid of it because those cannot clear a flood quickly.

Anyhow, I think you did a fine job with the mishap. Eating that bridge wudda, mighta had the crew considering early mutiny..

Post edit...I looked at your pictures and it appears you have the throttle and gears on the tiller. I cannot tell you how much I hate that design. I had one for two days. It flooded easily and I was not able to clear a flood quickly by opening the throttle bore because the shifter won't allow it. If you cannot go to WOT when starting; ditch the motor; it is a liability. I had an 86 Merc for two days with that design. I flooded it and spent 30 minutes trying to clear the fuel. Some engines have a propensity to flood and when they do; it is a must to clear the flood condition with wot. If you can open the throttle all the way and start in neutral; the design is different. Best regards.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

This one does is the "less favored" design. But I have a secret... remove the cover and pull the throttle up independently.

I don't think it is flooding. I actually think I'm too lean based on the "pop" that is happening over idle but below 3/4 throttle. All the research I've done says I'm lean which points to jet not mix (no pop in idle or over 3/4). At that point I'm going to have a pro do it. One of the symptoms that folks talk about with this exact model being lean is a hard fail followed by the short-run restart. She's not smoking or smelling like she does when she's rich/flooded (I've done that little exercise).

As to the mutiny, the crew was quiet at first. We sat there watching the bridge, making sure it "stayed over there", when the crew said "I knew you would keep us safe... I was never afraid." I think that one thing made the whole thing OK in my mind. She's already making calls to find a motor guy with some time for a little 2 stroke.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I would sell it. Flat out, no bull. I spent 30 minutes adrift one day, bloodied my hands with several blisters all because I couldn't go WOT for 3 friggin pulls. This is one of those ideal designs that is less than ideal.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

You can spend hours guessing what causes an engine not to run properly or not at all over a forum. Even in person tests need to be ran and verify that things are doing what they need to do. If the carb does not have removable jets and air bleeds then cleaning the carb is still just guess work and if it fixes it then it fixes it. It could be something as simple as there being a plugged air bleed on the fuel tank that is plugged, wasn't opened or there is a one way vent that is stuck.... Who knows!?

Jaysen seems to be smart enough to know enough about what makes the motor go and once it passed his bag of tricks he knows then again, smart thing to do is pass it off to someone more knowledgeable on what makes it tick. It was also quick thinking on his part to know when to stop tinkering with the motor and secure the boat. Very good call, very good call.

Love your mis-adventures Jaysen, I hope they continue to end with all coming home safely.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Thanks OQ.

I figure I need to live up to my redneck heritage and provide as many “hold my beer and watch this!!” events as possible.

More seriously, how often do you see folks talk about the failures? These days it’s mostly about a perception of success and ease of accomplishment. Ugly reality is that there’s a lot of failure preceding every success. Maybe someone will see my mess, have a good laugh, then accept a failure in their own world.

As to the motor… I’m sure it’s something stupid simple. I just don’t want to buy a new motor one part at a time. I’m sure that 15min in the hands of an expert will I’d the real issue and fix it permanently.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Was that a "Beware the lee shore" situation? Glad it worked out without an insurance claim!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

VT_Jeff wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:39 pm Was that a "Beware the lee shore" situation? Glad it worked out without an insurance claim!
100% current. The wind was out of the east at 3knt. Current out of the west at a number that was greater than the 3knt wind in the sails. My drift rate was 1.5knt east.

Now the interesting data is the heart rate info. You can definitely tell when things went sideways. Mine went from 85 to 170 really really fast.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Crazy Jaysen, now you are a true sailor!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

What is the technical name for the instrument control insert thing?

I need a new one. 😢
C0BFC975-40CC-4EA5-8585-247C58173804.jpeg
C0BFC975-40CC-4EA5-8585-247C58173804.jpeg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian »

Display? Readout?
Tony