Carolina Skiff J16

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
dosmolski
New Poster
New Poster

Carolina Skiff J16

Post by dosmolski »

I am in the process of rebuilding a Carolina skiff J16. The hull is from 1992. The foam core was saturated and I have almost demoed the entire deck and all the foam. I also opened up the transom as seen in the last picture. The boat came with a center console, front and rear casting decks. It was powered by a 1988 Johnson 88 HP attached with a CNC jackplate.

My plan is to install a pair of foam core stringers, form core ribs, and replace the deck. I am still torn between this method and replacing all the foam and building the deck back with fiberglass. The original casting deck were cracked and the core rotted. Eventually, I would like to build in a bass boat style front and rear deck with built in rod lockers and live well.

For the transom it appears to be a foam core material of sorts, possibly a higher density foam than that used in the foam cells under the deck.

I have some background in fabrication and mechanics but am a beginner with this project. I would welcome any and all input.

Here some photos of the current condition/progress.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Carolina Skiff J16

Post by Fuzz »

All those side to side ribs are something new to me. I am thinking the foam was to help stiffen things sort of Whaler like. What kind of shape are all those ribs in? For the transom you could use good marine plywood and epoxy. It will last a long time as long as any holes that get drilled into are properly sealed. For the deck honeycomb core/ nidacore-carboncore would be a great fit.

dosmolski
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dosmolski »

The ribs, deck, and foam created a closed cell to provide flotation. I believe the Boston Whalers used a similar design. The ribs are still usable. I am going to add a sump at the transom but I am torn between just refilling the foam and sealing up again or tearing them out and form a stringer system for support. The original design gets water logged due to screw penetration from installing the different modular components ie consoles and tie downs.

With the honeycomb core/ nidacore-carboncore, could it be easily bonded to the existing ribs with epoxy or would it need a stringer system?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You could bond the honeycomb to what you have with epoxy glue. I know those hulls are famous for getting water logged. I can see why with the way the ribs are. I have never been around one so I am not sure what is the best way to fix one. Cutting all those ribs out and going with a normal stringer system could be done but I am not sure if that is the right thing to do with that hull. They might need all those ribs to support the hull :doh: I hope someone who has been around one will chime in.

dosmolski
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dosmolski »

Appreciate the feedback. There used to be a Carolina skiff forum but it seems to have died. The general consensus a few year ago was to buy a new hull and move on but they don’t make this hull anymore.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Those ribs are a puzzle! I'm wondering if part of their purpose was to prevent any saturation from spreading fore/aft. Was each compartment isolated from the others or were there limber holes that joined each section?
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

dosmolski
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dosmolski »

They are suppose to be completely isolated and I think it worked because some were full of water and others had very little. For instances, under the center console where there were several sets of screw holes were full of water and the foam was black.

I have seen where some owners use a long electrical drill bit and core a hole starting at the transom and going through 7 to 8 feet then attempt to drain the water. It probably works somewhat but won’t drain the saturated foam.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

I have a J-14, 2008 model. They used to have a video on their website showing a build. I think they put 1 of the foam blocks in and glass it with chopper gun, cram the the next foam block up tight, lather rinse repeat. That is where the ridges come from. Chopper gun the top, maybe cloth. The transom on mine is very dense foam. It was not easy to drill for engine bolts. The foam in my transom was med-dark gray. Doesn't look like the core of your transom.

Definitely not a showcase of fine craftsmanship but solid boats. Mine gets washed once a year whether it needs it or not. It was stored outside at the dealer and has never been covered since I got it. It is fair to say that it has been outside since it rolled out the factory door. Fun little boat to putt around in.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

Now that I think about it, it may have been a series of build pictures. I'm just guessing about the build method but that's the way it looked to me.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

`I wonder about the construction method with all those ribs. I ask myself it is to keep the unsupported spans to a minim if the hull was thinner than what would other wise be expected?